Is it easier for you to...

Secret Santa - Snow Shoveling Society.
I may be a member, although there is nothing secret about my neighborly acts. I shovel my walk and that of my neighbors. I also cut their grass. Now we live in town houses, so our lawns and walks are small. My reward is the thanks that I get. Ha, I don't even think that my neighbors own a lawn mower. I have been cutting this stretch long before the current neighbors moved in.

Both can be difficult. On the one hand, giving presents the challenge of knowing exactly what to give and how to do it correctly so that you don't do more harm than good to someone. On the other hand, being on the receiving end brings up problems of feeling indebted or worse.

Both can be difficult. On the one hand, giving presents the challenge of knowing exactly what to give and how to do it correctly so that you don't do more harm than good to someone. On the other hand, being on the receiving end brings up problems of feeling indebted or worse.

You are correct CBC. Either condition is possible. Seems that even doing good is darn complicated.

Reactions: Paintman
I'd say more receiving help, but of course I'll return the favor by helping whoever helped me, and also at times I like helping people in need. But when it comes to helping, I can either be very generous or a real S.O.B, depending on the person asking for help. For example, the most generous help I offered was buying a homeless woman diapers for her baby after the store kicked her out for begging.

A real nasty thing I did when asked for help was this one guy I was at university with asked me to help him with his assignment. Now this guy NEVER did his assignments on time because he's just really lazy, and then last minute he's always got some excuse and tries to con the other students into lending him their assignments to copy. So this assignment he needed help with was already overdue but he had until that afternoon to submit it. The question he needed help had something to do with SQL Database management and was a practical question which counted the majority of the assignment marks. So he asks me to look at his work because it's just giving errors. So I look at it and he's way off from the right answer (and a few other flunkies there were just as stumped as he was) and he was using the command prompt to do this work which won't show where/what the errors were. So I just pretend to analyze what he did and just said, "I don't know, that's exactly what I did and it worked fine for me". And given I was getting straight As for this subject he just believed me, and ultimately left him in a holding pattern. Not proud of it, but yea.

I'd say more receiving help, but of course I'll return the favor by helping whoever helped me, and also at times I like helping people in need. But when it comes to helping, I can either be very generous or a real S.O.B, depending on the person asking for help. For example, the most generous help I offered was buying a homeless woman diapers for her baby after the store kicked her out for begging.

A real nasty thing I did when asked for help was this one guy I was at university with asked me to help him with his assignment. Now this guy NEVER did his assignments on time because he's just really lazy, and then last minute he's always got some excuse and tries to con the other students into lending him their assignments to copy. So this assignment he needed help with was already overdue but he had until that afternoon to submit it. The question he needed help had something to do with SQL Database management and was a practical question which counted the majority of the assignment marks. So he asks me to look at his work because it's just giving errors. So I look at it and he's way off from the right answer (and a few other flunkies there were just as stumped as he was) and he was using the command prompt to do this work which won't show where/what the errors were. So I just pretend to analyze what he did and just said, "I don't know, that's exactly what I did and it worked fine for me". And given I was getting straight As for this subject he just believed me, and ultimately left him in a holding pattern. Not proud of it, but yea.
You did this guy a good deed by not helping him. This sounds like a life lesson he needed to learn.

You did this guy a good deed by not helping him. This sounds like a life lesson he needed to learn.
He needed, what we call in South Africa, " 'n lekker PK in sy gesig". Which loosely translates to a good open hand smack to the face (the kind that would knock someone out). Because people stopped helping him and he started trying to con students out of their assignments by saying the lecturer told him to ask us to lend him their assignment to see how it's structured or some nonsense like that, but when you speak to the respective lecturer, they deny ever telling him to do something like that. It was his plan to try copy assignments.

Reactions: Lynne