Is humanity ready for aliens?

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Is Humanity Ready for the Discovery of Alien Life?

Throughout history most strange new cosmic phenomena have made us wonder: Could this be it, the moment we first face alien life? The expectation isn’t necessarily outlandish—many scientists can and do make elaborate, evidence-based arguments that we will eventually discover life beyond the bounds of our planet. To true believers, what may be more uncertain is whether or not such news would cause global panic—which depends on how our minds, so greatly influenced by our Earthly environment and society, would perceive the potential threat of something utterly outside our familiar context.

Reactions: BigfootBeliever79
It’s all good 'till we find out we’re the cows on the cosmic ranch :eek:

UNARIUS
Is Humanity Ready for the Discovery of Alien Life?

Throughout history most strange new cosmic phenomena have made us wonder: Could this be it, the moment we first face alien life? The expectation isn’t necessarily outlandish—many scientists can and do make elaborate, evidence-based arguments that we will eventually discover life beyond the bounds of our planet. To true believers, what may be more uncertain is whether or not such news would cause global panic—which depends on how our minds, so greatly influenced by our Earthly environment and society, would perceive the potential threat of something utterly outside our familiar context.

An interesting topic for sure. Have you heard of UNARIUS before? I saw a documentary on them (and Heaven's Gate cult) from the 1990s. They were talking about aliens arriving on Earth in 2001 (or 2002? Can't quite remember) When they asked them what if the aliens do *not* arrive, they stated that meant that humans simply would not be ready for contact with the extraterrestrial. I agree. I believe that humans still aren't quite ready to meet aliens just yet. With so much fear of the unknown and many believing that we must be the "only" beings in the universe due to various teachings, I do think that we'd react in a negative and possibly destructive manner. It seems all too common for something unknown to be automatically treated as a threat. I love science fiction so so very much, but sometimes I feel like maybe it's a bad thing because it's teaching us that aliens could be dramatically unfriendly and dangerous. But, maybe our minds will be open and more receptive to contact with other lifeforms at a later date. I do hope so!

UNARIUS

An interesting topic for sure. Have you heard of UNARIUS before? I saw a documentary on them (and Heaven's Gate cult) from the 1990s. They were talking about aliens arriving on Earth in 2001 (or 2002? Can't quite remember) When they asked them what if the aliens do *not* arrive, they stated that meant that humans simply would not be ready for contact with the extraterrestrial. I agree. I believe that humans still aren't quite ready to meet aliens just yet. With so much fear of the unknown and many believing that we must be the "only" beings in the universe due to various teachings, I do think that we'd react in a negative and possibly destructive manner. It seems all too common for something unknown to be automatically treated as a threat. I love science fiction so so very much, but sometimes I feel like maybe it's a bad thing because it's teaching us that aliens could be dramatically unfriendly and dangerous. But, maybe our minds will be open and more receptive to contact with other lifeforms at a later date. I do hope so!
May I just say, "Independance Day"?

Reactions: Lynne
In all honesty rather than joking, if you used the people that I know as examples of the typical or average Earthling, I am convinced we are not ready as a whole.

I know individuals who have trouble with minor changes in their smartphone apps, as well as those who have difficulty trying a new vegetable/herb/spice, some who become unhinged when one lane on a three lane road is blocked requiring them to merge into another lane even when traffic is light, and persons who get enraged when their third most favorite TV show is preempted by something else more topical. I know one person who grows visibly agitated whenever their smartphone or tablet drops below a 90% power charge.

I can’t imagine how any of those people could possibly survive the news of discovery of an alien life form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm and Debi
UNARIUS

Human's aren't ready to meet aliens yet?

Ha. Understatement of the century! Humans still haven't adapted to other humans yet, at least not where I live.

Reactions: Debi
In all honesty rather than joking, if you used the people that I know as examples of the typical or average Earthling, I am convinced we are not ready as a whole.

I know individuals who have trouble with minor changes in their smartphone apps, as well as those who have difficulty trying a new vegetable/herb/spice, some who become unhinged when one lane on a three lane road is blocked requiring them to merge into another lane even when traffic is light, and persons who get enraged when their third most favorite TV show is preempted by something else more topical. I know one person who grows visibly agitated whenever their smartphone or tablet drops below a 90% power charge.

I can’t imagine how any of those people could possibly survive the news of discovery of an alien life form.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people wouldn't believe something like that if they heard it on the news, even from a 'reliable' source. News reporting being what it is these days, I don't really blame anyone either.

Ready or not they are here and they are here for different reasons than you think.

Reactions: Lynne