Is being empathetic a bad thing when it comes to the paranormal?

Janice89

Reaction score
I’ve recently had a paranormal encounter a month ago and I can’t stop thinking about a moment in which I was affected. I sensed something came over me and rather than feeling afraid, I felt a deep unknown sadness. I recognized that these were not my emotions. It was given to me to feel. I’m not sure what happened there in that moment. Can anyone relate and share some insight?

It's what we call being an empath. You can at times feel the emotions of others.

Janice, I am going to move your thread to the correct forum area and will continue on from there. Welcome to the forum and hold on for the ride.

Reactions: Janice89 and Ronin
I’ve recently had a paranormal encounter a month ago and I can’t stop thinking about a moment in which I was affected. I sensed something came over me and rather than feeling afraid, I felt a deep unknown sadness. I recognized that these were not my emotions. It was given to me to feel. I’m not sure what happened there in that moment. Can anyone relate and share some insight?
Hi Janice

What you are explaining sounds like an empathic event. There are several members here that can weigh in. As long as you recognize the feelings are not yours,you can just move away from the area.

Reactions: Janice89
hi Janice, don't know how much help ill be, but a lot of times being an empath you will pick up on the emotions of the ppl around you....not really the dead, that would be more of a medium..... were you around anyone going through a depressed state or sadness...sometimes severe depression , sadness, and anger will be the first things you may sence or feel from someone... just realize its not you.... if it is empath abilities you are experiencing, they could grow stronger over time or you could shut them down...that is up to you

OK, being an empath is not a bad thing. However, people who are need to learn to manage the emotions and also how to recognize what is theirs and what is not. Learning to ground the extra energy and emotions is also really important for your own well being.

Hi Janice. I experienced something very similar. I can put a word to it and describe it, but I can't explain it. In the Eastern Orthodox Church they call this the Gift of Tears.

the reason I put the statement in about the dead is because you mentioned "paranormal" (while I guess empath abilities are in the para realm, i don't see them as being so...not in the sence of spririts and such anyways.) and said you felt something come over you.... could you elaborate on this feeling a little????.......

Reactions: Janice89
Being an empath is never a bad thing. You may want to learn some meditation techniques to try and control or channel emotions you pick up, rather than letting them express themselves through you. Even just learning to do deep, controlled breaths can go a long way to letting that energy even out or process internally.

I was taken to a haunted museum. I entered a room dedicated to Dr. Kevorkian with the supposed original vehicle that was recovered. Mind you, I was nervous and anxious being at the museum already. But when I came into the room, I stared at the van and suddenly I didn’t feel anxious. I felt very very sad. I knew these weren’t my emotions. I kept my composure until I left the room and I broke down into tears. I had no idea why I was crying or why I felt that way.