Investigator Advice

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
242823382_4979089685438835_2819471897930619348_n.jpg

You do not need to be an active investigator to give advice on this one. If you have had paranormal experiences, you may have good info on what you would LIKE an investigator to provide or how to act on a case.​

Don't investigate on your own.

If you are inexperienced and seriously interested in investigating the paranormal, join a local group. If you have some experience, always go with someone else, even if just a friend or family member. There are many risks involved with investigating the paranormal, and not all of them are physical in nature, especially if you are inexperienced and do not know what signs to be on the lookout for.

Apart from the obvious physical injuries that can be sustained, especially wondering about in run-down buildings at night, there are other physical risks that exist. Structural collapses, exposure (depending on the conditions), physical attacks from the living (squatters, drug users or dealers and occult members are examples) as well as attacks by entities themselves are just to mention a few.

Then there are the metaphysical dangers of an investigation. If it was only the physical things we had to worry about, then this field of study could be done by almost anyone. Sometimes, the things we go out looking for are really there and more often than not, these things can, and do, follow us home at the end of the night. Mental breakdowns have been known in experienced investigators, often resulting from negative attachments.

There are also instances reported of "time loss". Where an investigator appears to be influenced by "something" and loses all track of time, going into a trance-like state for, sometimes, hours on end. This can open you up to lots of nasty things, including a potential possession.

Paranormal investigation can be fun, frightening and one hell of an experience, especially when something happens. But there is also a dangerous side to what we do and it should be acknowledged, and respected, by all investigators regardless of their experience.

Don't investigate on your own.

If you are inexperienced and seriously interested in investigating the paranormal, join a local group. If you have some experience, always go with someone else, even if just a friend or family member. There are many risks involved with investigating the paranormal, and not all of them are physical in nature, especially if you are inexperienced and do not know what signs to be on the lookout for.

Apart from the obvious physical injuries that can be sustained, especially wondering about in run-down buildings at night, there are other physical risks that exist. Structural collapses, exposure (depending on the conditions), physical attacks from the living (squatters, drug users or dealers and occult members are examples) as well as attacks by entities themselves are just to mention a few.

Then there are the metaphysical dangers of an investigation. If it was only the physical things we had to worry about, then this field of study could be done by almost anyone. Sometimes, the things we go out looking for are really there and more often than not, these things can, and do, follow us home at the end of the night. Mental breakdowns have been known in experienced investigators, often resulting from negative attachments.

There are also instances reported of "time loss". Where an investigator appears to be influenced by "something" and loses all track of time, going into a trance-like state for, sometimes, hours on end. This can open you up to lots of nasty things, including a potential possession.

Paranormal investigation can be fun, frightening and one hell of an experience, especially when something happens. But there is also a dangerous side to what we do and it should be acknowledged, and respected, by all investigators regardless of their experience.
Good advice. I’m afraid I can’t really give any good info on this. I will enjoy others comments. I can say what I don’t like tho and that is when investigators are mean to the spirits with provoking comments. If these are just passed over people that is a horrible thing and may cause harm to the soul of that person.

I agree with everything Titch said but also this cannot be emphasized enough protection there are some really not so nice things out there in the paranormal realm better to be protected and have your home protected as well I always carry with me a piece of black tourmaline. I have my whole apartment set up with a black tourmaline and selenite crystal grid just in case something nasty tries to come in as well as Witches Black Salt for Protection Warding banishing Malicious spirits and entities and it also Banishes Negativity I put in on my windowsill and threshold some might think I may be over doing it but spirits seem to like certain people a lot more than others but one can never be too sure what is going to follow you home from an investigation and I'd rather not take that risk and nor should you

dont, just dont......because most people wont listen to the warnings anyways, then they want to know how to get rid of whats following them or why their buddy got eaten by the werewolf or a thousand other things that went wrong. so just dont.

First, you need to make yourself as well informed as possible. Learn from other people's mistakes and figure out what they have done RIGHT and what they have done WRONG. Spend time in any area learning what sounds are normal and if possible identify their sources. There are little tree frogs that can sound like something that you absolutely do NOT want to get close to. Old houses have their special sounds and abandoned ones have inhabitants that are not ghostly. I had a screech owl come out of a back room of an old house at me one time that nearly gave me a heart attack!!! It was probably in there hunting rats.

I have done most of my hunting alone. I would rather be alone than with someone that is either petrified in fear long before anything happens or that runs, or runs over me, and leaves me alone. I have had both happen more than once. One guy tried to take off and leave me there driving MY car.

Tools that you need are at least two GOOD flashlights. Pencil and paper for notes while the memory is fresh. I carry a stout stock cane (hook-shaped like a walking stick but a lot heavier) and since I live in Texas I usually have a gun. I'm legally licensed but now you don't need a license. When you are exploring an old house in a rural area you can have all sorts of animal encounters and then at night, there are the snakes.

OLD cemeteries are one of my favorite haunts. Old closed down schools seem to have a lot of activity. The hardest part is when something happens don't RUN. Honestly, there are not many things that you need to fear that you will be able to outrun. Stand and face it and then if it seems best back slowly out of the situation. Most things that are aggressive will chase you if you run. I had a little Yorkie that weighed 6 pounds that would chase anything...if it ran from her.

Fear is a mind-killer. Learn to accept and rule your fear rather than let it rule you. You will never feel more alive than when you are creeping around in a place looking for a ghost, hoping you will see one, and then afraid that you WILL.

I will echo those who say never go alone. Beginners should train with an established, experienced group if possible.

My wife and I started alone but we were a team right from the start and always had each other's backs. We learned a lot the hard way and could have shortened our apprenticeship had we connected with experienced folks first.