In the footsteps of Lankester Merrin, LOL!

Astronomer

Reaction score
The title is in jest, as in 1977 i was trained as a paranormal investigator, always looking for fraud and trickery, however my first case i investigated as a junior, i still can't find an explanation for, and still gives me chills now, after 41 years. It was in April 1977 that i joined the Ghost Club, being the oldest organization in the world investigating paranormal activity. It was difficult in 1977 joining the Ghost Club as they were very selective!

It must of been reading about a friend's obituary that focused my mind about events that happened over forty years ago, and nearly dying with a broken spine, which tends to make you write about your life.
It was a few months ago i noticed Guy Lyon Playfair had died, i had not contacted him in years, but i was involved with him all those years ago. Although i was a junior paranormal investigator, i was more attached to Maurice Grosse, as we both lived in Enfield, a suburb of London, he died in 2006, so it seems i'm the only investigator left being an eye witness to strange events that happened in autumn 1977 in a council house, being 284 Green Street, Enfield.

Both Maurice Grosse and Guy Lyon Playfair were members of the Ghost Club and the Society of Psychical Research, S.P.R. I was only a member of the Ghost Club in 1977, the obituary is on link below:-

Guy Lyon Playfair (1935 – 2018) | spr.ac.uk

The Enfield Poltergeist is the most documented case of paranormal activity in the world, even a woman police officer, Carolyn Heeps signed an affidavit explaining that she saw a chair move across the room and obviously she checked for wires or fraud but found no reason for the chair to move. to read more about the case, i have left the link below, however it may take time to fully load:-

Enfield Poltergeist: The amazing story of the 11-year-old North London girl who 'levitated' above her bed | Daily Mail Online

I have left proof on members download hopefully showing that i did live in Enfield when i was 20 in 1977, plus my membership of Ghost Club.

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 132
  • picture 16.png
    picture 16.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Reactions: Lenny
Mornin, and welcome to the forum! So the daily mail link is the story of your first case?

The title is in jest, as in 1977 i was trained as a paranormal investigator, always looking for fraud and trickery, however my first case i investigated as a junior, i still can't find an explanation for, and still gives me chills now, after 41 years. It was in April 1977 that i joined the Ghost Club, being the oldest organization in the world investigating paranormal activity. It was difficult in 1977 joining the Ghost Club as they were very selective!

It must of been reading about a friend's obituary that focused my mind about events that happened over forty years ago, and nearly dying with a broken spine, which tends to make you write about your life.
It was a few months ago i noticed Guy Lyon Playfair had died, i had not contacted him in years, but i was involved with him all those years ago. Although i was a junior paranormal investigator, i was more attached to Maurice Grosse, as we both lived in Enfield, a suburb of London, he died in 2006, so it seems i'm the only investigator left being an eye witness to strange events that happened in autumn 1977 in a council house, being 284 Green Street, Enfield.

Both Maurice Grosse and Guy Lyon Playfair were members of the Ghost Club and the Society of Psychical Research, S.P.R. I was only a member of the Ghost Club in 1977, the obituary is on link below:-

Guy Lyon Playfair (1935 – 2018) | spr.ac.uk

The Enfield Poltergeist is the most documented case of paranormal activity in the world, even a woman police officer, Carolyn Heeps signed an affidavit explaining that she saw a chair move across the room and obviously she checked for wires or fraud but found no reason for the chair to move. to read more about the case, i have left the link below, however it may take time to fully load:-

Enfield Poltergeist: The amazing story of the 11-year-old North London girl who 'levitated' above her bed | Daily Mail Online

I have left proof on members download hopefully showing that i did live in Enfield when i was 20 in 1977, plus my membership of Ghost Club.
I remember Guy Lyon Playfair. He appeared on Coast to Coast AM. I'm also familiar with both the SPR and the Enfield case. I do believe we have a thread on here somewhere about it. I must go find that and I shall link here when I do.

Fascinating that you were part of that case!

Reactions: Charleh
One of members here is a podcaster and good friend of mine. He did a show with Guy you might be interested in.

Reactions: Lenny
Hi Charleh,

Yes you could say i was lucky or unlucky, but the Enfield Haunting was my first case, i had some jurisdiction as i lived in Enfield, the link below is a tape recording that i verify is Janet Hodgson speaking in a very bassy male voice at 11 years old, i still find it disturbing:-

I'll must go for now, getting tired, i will be back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny and Charleh
Hi Charleh,

Yes you could say i was lucky or unlucky, but the Enfield Haunting was my first case, i had some jurisdiction as i lived in Enfield, the link below is a tape recording that i verify is Janet Hodgson speaking in a very bassy male voice at 11 years old, i still find it disturbing:-

I'll must go for now, getting tired, i will be back tomorrow.
The video has privacy blocks on it, hon.

Here's another link we have associated with Guy and the case.

Enfield poltergeist: Ed/Lorraine Warren didn't investigate

Hi Debi,

Good news, after checking for sores, i don't need to go to bed just yet. You are right about Ed and Lorraine Warren, they were never involved in Enfield, Guy Playfair and Maurice Grosse almost lived at the house for over 18 months, the Conjuring 2 film was wildly inaccurate, obviously a Hollywood film based on thrills but not true, no creepy nun, and the house didn't have a cellar, a more accurate drama would be the 3 part drama called "The Enfield Haunting", by Sky Living, although i still report that Guy Playfair was not flung against a wall, and the house was not wired with cctv in 1977.

I don't like haunted house pranks, but before screening the drama, Sky Living played a prank that i had to giggle about, it is below:-

Reactions: Debi
HA! That is quite evil! lol Having lived in a haunted house and sold one, that one hits home.

You mentioned an injury to your back, Astronomer. I've had three surgeries on mine and I can't imagine the adjustment you are having to make for the paraplegia. Recenty was hospitalized myself for respiratory arrest and now on 02 at home. Just want to let you know we as a group will be holding you up in healing light here. We consider ourselves a big family and we band together on these things. If you have any specific prayer/intention needs, do feel free to let me know, even if by PM.

Hi Debi,
I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery, i hope you feel well soon, don't worry about me, i'm big and ugly enough to look after myself, i have a bag for my bladder a bag for my bowels, all i need now is a paper bag on my head,Lol.
I feel at home on your forum, and i'm a happy soul, i was a member of The College of Psychic Studies, so know your forum is much more than about Ghosts.

The images i downloaded i cut by 50% but need a magnifying glass to read, perhaps i should increase to 75%???
Tomorrow i will get back on track with my eye witness report regarding the Enfield haunting, i will say now that i never saw Janet levitate, but i did see a great deal of paranormal activity, that i checked for any trickery or hoax, and didn't find anything!

Reactions: Debi