In the dark...

Good observations from everyone. I think that some investigators do a very good and honest job of searching for the truth out there in the private world. There are a few people on TV that I think try to do that as well, but they are not in the majority.

I do agree that the quiet of the night allows people to sense more of what goes on around them. My other theory has always been that when more people are sleeping and quiet, it takes their mental chatter out of the local ether making it easier for spirits to communicate.

Debi is correct. The distractions and human activity of daylight hours are gone. Speaking personally only, I feel much, much more sensitive when a bit deprived of the mainstream senses. It is my habit when investigating to move through dark locations alone with no light at all, before taking out any gear. I have a small flashlight and my cell for safety, and often a walkie-talkie. I scout it quickly in daylight first and depend on memory and what I sense.
I feel things in daylight as well, but am usually working or otherwise occupied and just too much going on to really feel it deeply.

When the sun goes down, there is more magic in the air. After the Autumnal Equinox, it's electric. October nights in North America are an orgy of frenetic paranormal energies.

My belief is that it happens both night and day. All the weird goings on at my workplace have been during the daytime! :)

I think, as humans, we just find the nighttime scarier (because we can't see, so we feel more vulnerable) and that is why it has become the traditional time to go ghost hunting, not because there's actually more activity.

I don't have much to add on ghost hunts but I want to pick up on something that Oz mentioned. Just my experience but I am more open to a psychic phenomenon like premonitions if I'm in real danger.

More like walking into real danger. I have been on jobs before where we could be talking about baseball or where we're going to have lunch or fighting over the radio station. And all of a sudden I would get a premonition thought that would just push its way to the front of consciousness. "Don't go on that roof today." "Don't go in that neighborhood right now." Good neighborhoods or obviously bad neighborhoods - there are some freaky people out there.

How accurate are these premonitions ? No way to know but I listen. Getting back to Oz, I think perceiving danger is ultimately something that is written in our DNA. Or like Sigmund Freud called it the survival Instinct.

Not to get completely sidetracked but Magnum PI would call that his little voice. I've had some conversations with police and nurses that have the same phenomenon.
It is also called "claircognizance".
What is the meaning of Claircognizance?

Noun. claircognizance. The ability for a person to acquire psychic knowledge without knowing how or why they knew it.

This is probably my biggest "gift"/ability. Info just pops right in from nowhere. Some people just call it "the knowing".

Last edited:
Reminds me of an interview with Bob Dylan on 60 Minutes. I think it was Ed Bradley that asked him about his songwriting process. Bob starts singing some very esoteric lyrics from Subterranean Homesick Blues.
He said do you really think I wrote that ? I pick it out of the Ether.

Keith Richards was asked a similar question and he said I really don't write these songs I'm just the antenna.

I bet that's a feature of really creative people in any medium.