In the dark...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Why do we usually hunt for paranormal events or entities when it's dark?
Does the paranormal only work in the dark?
crux asked a variation of this question in the Bigfoot forum area, which got me thinking. Is the energy different without sunlight? Does darkness just add ambiance to the hunt or is there actually more activity at night? Is it simply that it's quieter with less mind thought in the ether?
To be honest, the activity I've experienced over my lifetime is pretty much split even between day and night.

Thoughts on this?

Good question. I’ve experienced stuff mostly in the day. I don’t know if it would make a difference except researchers or ghost hunters would have less outside interference at night

I think i am same Debi. Split down middle between day and night. Also, i would imagine most investigators have day jobs so always being night when they investigate. Plus, the locations would be closed to people at night, so offers room and less interference like Lynne stated.

I have wondered the same thing. Obviously if you own an allegedly haunted location you rent out to paranormal investigators, the spooky factor is heightened by the dark. They probably make more money selling after dark investigation opportunities.

I also remember one of the hokier paranormal show from several years ago claimed they conducted their investigations at 3am because is was "the hour of the dead" or some such silliness.

i believe that reality tv has set a "standard" for night hunts, what people see their favorite "ghost hunters" do is what they repeat themselves. for television shows darkness makes it more "scary" and keeps the viewers on edge. if ghost activity was more common or stronger at night then no one would get any sleep in a truly haunted location....lol. most bigfoot sightings, cryptid sightings, ghost encounters or activity, etc... are reported by people in daylight or at normal times of their wakeing hours, (with no specialized equipment or devices) mornings, evenings, etc.... but any show is always in pitch black, night, when peoples senses are heightened and are more paranoid or easily scared... i think 99% of what you see on tv is all fake, everything from the equipment to the settings. i understand the supposed "scientific" need of trying to develope some type of tool for documentation, but at the same time i also think its useless and just another prop for most shows.

I also remember one of the hokier paranormal show from several years ago claimed they conducted their investigations at 3am because is was "the hour of the dead" or some such silliness.
thats another doubt i have with paranormal shows. ive heard a few of the "psychics" on said shows make that claim as well. which makes me question pretty much all of the supposed "psychics" who are on these type teams/shows.... ever notice since the ghost hunting fad has taken off everyone is a psychic or empath???.......

I don't think that the time of day has any real impact on activity but does greatly affect how well we perceive activity. During the day we are actively engaged in and focused on specific tasks. We are also often surrounded by others who are also engaged in and focused on specific tasks. This means that we are conditioned to tune out the hustle and bustle around us so that we can give our full attention to just what's important in that moment. Think about having a conversation with someone in a crowded room and how you are able to stay engaged in that specific conversation despite all the auditory and visual stimulus. If there was something in that room which was out of place you very likely wouldn't even notice.

For most people, they complete or at least set aside their tasks at the end of each day and take some time to relax and unwind. They are no longer focused on their activities nor are they surrounded by the activities of others. Going back to the conversation in a crowded room analogy this takes place in the same room after everyone else has left and there are no more distractions. It's at this time where you would start to notice things being wrong or out of place because you have nothing else to focus on and nothing else to tune out.

So I don't think this kind of activity only happens at night, that's just when things are quiet and calm enough for us to notice what's happening. One of my most dramatic experiences happened in broad daylight about 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon, at the time I was doing chores but sort of doing them on autopilot while staring off and letting my mind relax.

Several people have mentioned the paranormal investigation shows seem to always be filmed at night, and I don't doubt that is a certain level a showmanship that goes into that fact. This may also be due to availability of the personnel or location in some instances but there is also the factor of wanting to investigate during the times when activity is usually noticed. I remember one of the first episodes of Ghost Hunters was a day time investigation because it was a single mother with little kids who are home all day so they noticed activity during the day.