Impact Crater Found Under Ice

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Impact crater 19 miles wide found beneath Greenland glacier

Crater appears to be result of mile-wide iron meteorite just 12,000 years ago

An illustration of the ice-filled crater discovered in Greenland. Photograph: Nasa/Cryospheric Sciences Lab/Natural History Museum of Denmark
A huge impact crater has been discovered under a half-mile-thick Greenland ice sheet.

The enormous bowl-shaped dent appears to be the result of a mile-wide iron meteorite slamming into the island at a speed of 12 miles per second as recently as 12,000 years ago.

The impact of the 10bn-tonne space rock would have unleashed 47m times the energy of the Little Boy nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It would have melted vast amounts of ice, sending freshwater rushing into the oceans, and blasted rocky debris high into the atmosphere.

Full story at site

I saw this on Reddit last night. There's been conjecture in the past about a continent-wide fire that wiped out large animals (elephants, camels, etc) in North America about 13k years ago. Wonder if those events would be related?

I saw this on Reddit last night. There's been conjecture in the past about a continent-wide fire that wiped out large animals (elephants, camels, etc) in North America about 13k years ago. Wonder if those events would be related?
I heard about it last evening as well on Coast. And it does seem this is related to the event you mention, and in fact may be confirmation of that theory.

Reactions: 7Critter
I heard about it last evening as well on Coast. And it does seem this is related to the event you mention, and in fact may be confirmation of that theory.
The hypothesis is that a comet or meteorite struck the Laurentide ice sheet around 12,900 years ago, creating worldwide fires, and causing a rapid cooling, which lasted some 1,300 years. It's called the Younger Dryas. At that time we saw the extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna, and the disappearance of the Clovis Culture in North America. Experts had speculated that the impact was in Canada, but I see no reason to believe Greenland was not as likely a spot.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
The hypothesis is that a comet or meteorite struck the Laurentide ice sheet around 12,900 years ago, creating worldwide fires, and causing a rapid cooling, which lasted some 1,300 years. It's called the Younger Dryas. At that time we saw the extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna, and the disappearance of the Clovis Culture in North America. Experts had speculated that the impact was in Canada, but I see no reason to believe Greenland was not as likely a spot.
Thank you to our archaeologist for the answer!

That and great flood events around the world. The Black Sea was formed around then too, & possibly the mountain range at the straights of Gibraltar was breached then too. Would explain the sunken cities all throughout low lying areas in the Mediterranean. Those settlements may comprise the whole of Atlantis which was said to have disappeared beneath the sea in one day.

When Plato described Atlantis as being just beyond the Pillars of Hercules, he may have been citing eyewitnesses who were looking East, not West. Maybe sailors from around Portugal or Morocco on the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Excellent information! Thank you sir.

Reactions: 7Critter