I'm not throwing that away!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Have you ever owned something that, to the uninitiated (like your spouse or parents), looks so ratty and distressed they wanted to throw it out?
Tell us about it. Did you keep it?

Reactions: garnetsilver
I have this fall jacket that has multi colored knit sleeves and denim body. I have owned this thing perhaps 25 years...at least. My kids keep trying to give me a new coat/jacket (I rarely wear one anyway) and nope! It's this jacket for any weather or no jacket at all. I will not let this go.

I also have this ratty tatty nightgown that is soft and totally comfortable. It's my go to when I'm feeling really ill despite the small hole or tear here and there. It covers what it needs to and makes me feel good. Once again, kids and spouse keep thinking they can replace this. Once again...nope.

i am somewhat of a hoarder of some things. Recently my nephew chastised me for keeping bottles of water on a couple shelfs in the store room (he didn't know about the bottles in the garage). So I am haveing work done and the plumbers turned the water off and left, forgetting to turn it back on. Thank goodness I had those bottles of water. They did come back and turn it on, but the next few days they had to turn the water off a few times.

I keep a huge array of camping stuff though I haven't been camping in 2 years and I will not throw that stuff away, nor the ceramics my mom and I made that I don't know what to do with.

Thankfully, John doesn't try to get me to throw things away. It's the other way around, lol. He had this chair that was sort of low to the floor and very comfortable, with a matching hassock. It looked quite beaten up but I didn't ask him to get rid of it until we moved to a place where there was absolutely no place to put it. Then he agreed that it had to go. We kept the hassock because my cat liked to sleep on it.

I have a few storage bags of clothing that I may never fit into again, but they remind me of the way I used to be, so I keep them.

Thankfully, John doesn't try to get me to throw things away. It's the other way around, lol. He had this chair that was sort of low to the floor and very comfortable, with a matching hassock. It looked quite beaten up but I didn't ask him to get rid of it until we moved to a place where there was absolutely no place to put it. Then he agreed that it had to go. We kept the hassock because my cat liked to sleep on it.

I have a few storage bags of clothing that I may never fit into again, but they remind me of the way I used to be, so I keep them.
I finally got rid of my clothes I had been hanging on to for 10 or more years because they didn't fit but I liked them and hoped I would loose 20 or 40 pounds. I still have too many clothes.

I have a pair of ratty urban camo cargo shorts I've had for at least ten years. Mrs Duke has repaired them on a couple occasions, and replaced multiple buttons. She's bought me new shorts, but I won't get rid of the old pair.

And Debi, I can relate to that old nightgown you described. I have one that is very old, over twenty years old. The cuffs are fraying and there are holes in it, but I can't bear to throw it away because it is so comfortable when I am sick. If I can find similar fabric, I would make another one just like it because clothing manufacturers don't make them like this anymore.

Last edited:
  • Big Grin
Reactions: Selectric and Debi
I have to repair a puppy pillow that my 11 year old grandson still needs to sleep with. He got it when he was born and it is called "pillow guy". I hope he doesn't still have it when he gets married. :tearsofjoy: It is looking pretty sad.

I'm not short on blue jeans here by any means, but when they're starting to show their age, I'll retire them and rip holes in the knees even at 41 and I'll wear it at the house with a nice white or gray T-shirt. My younger siblings took a shot at them and not much later, they were in the garbage but TBH - that's where they needed to go. I am, however wearing another holy pair of jeans at the moment. I should consider wearing them to work since it's hot ya know? For ventilation! :p

I have some two pocket long sleeve flannel shirts that are perhaps 30 years old. The end of the sleeves are worn to the point of seeing individual threads. The shirts are so functional and fit so nicely that I cannot get rid of them. At some point, rather that tossing them, I will repurpose them as cleaning or waxing rags.

Reactions: Selectric and Debi