If you could do anything in life differently what would you have done?

There are things that I wish could have been different. My years from about 14 to 19 were pretty much a living hell. I actually didn't expect to survive it and nearly didn't. When I met my wife she gave me what I was missing and I offered her the things that she desperately needed. Most of my problems revolved around me fighting bipolar depression and a Mom going through the change of life and angry all the time.

Her problems were a Mom that was INSANE and a Dad that wouldn't do ANYTHING to help his children. Once I got all I could take I wouldn't let her be around my Daughter unless I was there. She flipped out and that was the END of us dealing with her. My wife just couldn't do it so I did it for her. There was nothing healthy or good in their relationship. Once she was out of our lives my wife seemed to just bloom.

The change that people go through in their life can at times be just MASSIVE and unimaginable until they happen. My wife was browbeaten and unable to just tell her Mom to back off, once she was out of her life she changed. To say that she became stronger is a massive understatement. I confess that it has been interesting for me. I'm not the easiest person to live with and she keeps my straight now. Hell, for 25 years she worked in prisons and took care of inmates' teeth.

The last 10 years she worked on death row. In the entire time, she never had a single problem. She treated them like bad little kids and scolded them if they acted up but also treated them with a certain amount of human respect if they acted right. They loved her and she always felt safe. She was Big Mama and nobody wanted to cross her.

For me, getting older has been a pleasure. I may have a few aches and pains but I am happy. I love being retired!!! I enjoyed my work after I started working for myself but now I can do just the things that I like, like write, read, fish, and make all sorts of things in my three shops. My hobbies are many and I spend hours every day doing them.