If you build it...

I am the Tooling Manager for a manufacturing company, 40 years experience. I design this kind of stuff. SolidWorks certified since 2006.
That said, instructions can sometimes be informative, especially if the mfgr shorts you a component or two.

I once assembled a huge cat tree by myself and wondered why it had been so tricky. Then I read in the instructions "best assembled by two people". Oops... :rolleyes:

But yes, I'm generally good at assembling flat pack stuff. I mostly read the instructions, unless it's really obvious how to do it.

I've assembled my own wardrobe, bookcases, coffee tables, cat tree, glass desk, bathroom cabinet... I guess it comes from always watching/helping my Dad with his DIY projects ;ss

Anything mechanical, though, forget it! :D
Hi Rose!

• Love it
Reactions: RoseRed
When instructions are written in English and can be understood, I use them. Most are neither these days. YouTube is your friend.
Congrats on buying youren Dondel. Dondel ist eine best pout le spoutmuffin! JJe norgen dudel fondelreich happsgruben don mit happelsburger with chips. Yum Yum. Many happy hours will be yours Enshuldigung!

Schlep 1: Ve vill hav lotz off vun!
Schelp 2: Buckle 鉱山の靴
シェル 3 Ve possessen einen キング・イン・イエロー!

Instrutions to vollow:
Notpaying tenshuns to stushuns void warreXtz

10 = *^&%^££
30 ]*****&$£""
3orange ^LARP0000111100012
KIK 20 GOTO 10

Do not inset spanner into loophole A!

Expungulation! You know happy owner much bread! Spinster overlord await you!*

*This unrealistic actual instrutions much longer.

Last edited:
He would hand fit the parts to make sure everything worked and then he tightened everything up at once.
I do a similar things with many products. It reinforces that you are assembling right or wrong. It is especially important when there is a right hand piece and a left hand piece. Assembly is one of my favorite things in life. I still do it for my grown children and grand children.