If HAL 9000 was Alexa

Got google home, its pretty cool. Don't really worry about anyone listening in, heck, supposedly that can be done through your t.v, cell phone, and now probably through any smart device including most appliances...... Ever feel like your roomba vacuum is following you around....lol

Got google home, its pretty cool. Don't really worry about anyone listening in, heck, supposedly that can be done through your t.v, cell phone, and now probably through any smart device including most appliances...... Ever feel like your roomba vacuum is following you around....lol
This topic was sooo off the wall not a normal conversation piece, there was no room for this to pop up as coincidence. So SOMETHING was listening in! :eek::mad:

Reactions: Lynne
This topic was sooo off the wall not a normal conversation piece, there was no room for this to pop up as coincidence. So SOMETHING was listening in! :eek::mad:[/QUOT

Could have possibly been the phone maybe, do you have a smart TV..... Or could maybe be really good tracking cookies. Without even realizing it we leave a profile online that with research tells everything about us, ..it really sucks.
Last week at work I get a phone call, regular business profile call wanting us to subscribe to their listing, weird thing was is that they knew all of our names and positions.and even how long each of us has been with the co., makes you realize how much info is out there for someone who knows how to find it.
Just like facial recognition, just about every highschool yearbook from 1960 and up is now on facebook, so pretty much everyone today along with their fingerprints now has their face in the system..
Looks like George Orwell was right, Big brother is watching.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
Could have possibly been the phone maybe, do you have a smart TV..... Or could maybe be really good tracking cookies. Without even realizing it we leave a profile online that with research tells everything about us, ..it really sucks.
Last week at work I get a phone call, regular business profile call wanting us to subscribe to their listing, weird thing was is that they knew all of our names and positions.and even how long each of us has been with the co., makes you realize how much info is out there for someone who knows how to find it.
Just like facial recognition, just about every highschool yearbook from 1960 and up is now on facebook, so pretty much everyone today along with their fingerprints now has their face in the system..
Looks like George Orwell was right, Big brother is watching.
Thank goodness my life is boring

Reactions: Paulm and Debi
I don't go online without;

Going through a VPN
Using an ad blocker plugin like Ghostery which also can block trackers alongside NoScript so no nasty Javascript can can run

I never open email attachments even if it looks like it came from a legitimate source. If I really need to look at it I'll spin up a virtual machine air gapped from the main PC so if it nasty it just gets deleted along with the VM.

I use Linux anyway which isn't susceptible to Windows malware so that adds another layer of protection but it doesn't mean I can get complacent.

Why should I use an ad blocker when a lot of sites need the revenue to survive? Two reasons, some sites are so crammed with ads they become almost unusable especially on a mobile device and that also uses bandwidth. The ad slingers have been known to spread malware even on well known and legitimate sites. Until this vector for spreading malware is improved or negated I'll continue to block ads.

Tens of thousands of sites have been infected with code that mines cryptocurrency like BitCoin which is executed on your PC using your processor cycles and power, NoScript stops this sort of attack dead.

Reactions: 7Critter
I don't go online without;

Going through a VPN
Using an ad blocker plugin like Ghostery which also can block trackers alongside NoScript so no nasty Javascript can can run

I never open email attachments even if it looks like it came from a legitimate source. If I really need to look at it I'll spin up a virtual machine air gapped from the main PC so if it nasty it just gets deleted along with the VM.

I use Linux anyway which isn't susceptible to Windows malware so that adds another layer of protection but it doesn't mean I can get complacent.

Why should I use an ad blocker when a lot of sites need the revenue to survive? Two reasons, some sites are so crammed with ads they become almost unusable especially on a mobile device and that also uses bandwidth. The ad slingers have been known to spread malware even on well known and legitimate sites. Until this vector for spreading malware is improved or negated I'll continue to block ads.

Tens of thousands of sites have been infected with code that mines cryptocurrency like BitCoin which is executed on your PC using your processor cycles and power, NoScript stops this sort of attack dead.
I have to learn about this stuff. I need a very simplified menu of directions. Honestly it’s like reading another language. When I see how you all protect yourselves I worry because I don’t know how to do this.

I have to learn about this stuff. I need a very simplified menu of directions. Honestly it’s like reading another language. When I see how you all protect yourselves I worry because I don’t know how to do this.
You can have simpler ways of protection, Lynne. My son has installed certain blockers and programs on my laptop that are available online, especially since I'm all over the web for content for the site.

Reactions: Lynne

I'll put something together to guide you through what you need to do step by step. Not as difficult as it sounds

Reactions: Debi