Ice cube anomaly: Anybody know how this happens?

Celsiusrising

Reaction score
This is a photo of a tray of ice cubes. Note that circled in red is an ice cube that is not the norm, in that there is something that caused the ice cube to sprout a "horn", for lack of a better description. So far, no one I've spoken with has seen this occur anywhere else. This has occurred in my freezers over the years, for no reason that I can provide. It's totally random, no effort has been made at any time to induce this phenomenon, in my home. Comments, questions, anything?
Google Photos

;bg3

Hi Celcius. When I couldn't get your photos to load, I googled "ice with horns" to try to find other images. Surprisingly, I found a Canadian physics professor who has a website dedicated to this topic. He explains the phenomena very well.

Reactions: Benway
Hi Celcius. When I couldn't get your photos to load, I googled "ice with horns" to try to find other images. Surprisingly, I found a Canadian physics professor who has a website dedicated to this topic. He explains the phenomena very well.
Thanks for that Duke. It finally occurred to me to stasrt asking around, because I've been seeing this for years, and basically took it for granted. Yet everyone I ask has never seen it.

Reactions: Debi
Thanks for that Duke. It finally occurred to me to stasrt asking around, because I've been seeing this for years, and basically took it for granted. Yet everyone I ask has never seen it.
Thats another thing. How do you post photos here?

Thats another thing. How do you post photos here?
Just as an FYI to all newcomers...there is a slight delay from initial membership here to posting pics. This allows us to get to know you and also keeps the spammers who sneak by us from making a mess. Normally this is a short delay and you should see your designation go from "New Member" to "Member".

At that point it is easy to attach files once you open a post ...you will see an Attach files in the lower left hand corner of the box. You may also copy and paste in some situations like memes. Please allow it to fully load before you hit the final command to post.

Ok thanks for that answer, it's all clear to me now!
Now, the picture..

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_094518083_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200130_094518083_MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
Thank you! This has puzzled me for years, I can think of no conventional explanation for this phenomenon, although I tend to suspect there may well be one, or perhaps a non-conventional paranormal reason.

Reactions: Lynne