I want to start investigating things.

Crimsonwings

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently decided to try and start investigating things like ghosts, cryptids, and UFOs. I've always been fascinated with the supernatural and the unexplained, and I would like some tips on where to start with this. Like, what kind of equipment I'll need and things like that.

Welcome to PNF Crimson. There are members that can point you in the right direction. I am not an investigator, so only thing i can give is advice. Knowledge and protection is key. If you seek these things out, they may seek you out. If you are a sensitive, you have an advantage. You can trust your feelings to what you are experiencing, just don't always trust what is 'giving' the experience. We can't fully know what this stuff is. Keep yourself protected as like the old saying goes...the closer you get to the fire...We all dive into this stuff for various reasons. I myself have walked away from it lol. I've had enough. I pay more attention to the world around me, but every so often my 'senses' perk back up to remind of those things we can't see.

welcome to the forums, what are you wanting to focus on most, some equipment such as cameras can be crossed over while other pieces would be more useful for each type of investigation, cryptids and ufo's for example would be more field work in outdoor settings so a good amount of camping supplies along with high def cameras and lenses would be helpful, along with trail cams and scopes. whereas ghost/spirit activity would use other types of cameras and equipment. if you are looking to experiment in the sensitives, esp, psychic areas, i would advise against ghost hunting or spirit involvement until you are ready and experienced with any abilities you may have, (if you are interested in developing / progressing further)
read through some of the forum topics, ask questions, and then decide what interests you and what direction you would like to explore.

Last edited:
Welcome Crimson, I would say pick something easy to start with. There is some gear crossover between the various fields (spirits, cryptids, UFOs) but they all have their own specialty equipment as well. We have spent probably close to ten grand on gear over the years, had I asked questions when I started, as you are, I could have cut that amount in half, easily.
If you are mostly an indoor person, go with spirit investigations. If you like the outdoors, concentrate on cryptids in your area, Bigfoot, or UFOs. For the indoor stuff, start with an EVP recorder and Night Vision camcorder, EMF detector. For outdoors, the NV camera is good but a good binocular is even better. Your own eyes, ears, and other senses are always your best tools no matter what niche you explore.

Reactions: Selectric and Paulm
Before you begin "investigating," you need to research, and to the extent possible, develop an understanding of what you want to investigate. Accept the fact you will never understand or be able to explain everything.

The basics of conducting an investigation are the same whether you are investigating a crime scene, an accident, a paranormal event, etc. It's a structured, scientific process. It's all about gathering facts/evidence without introducing preconceived notions or ideas in the process. Let the evidence drive the investigation, as opposed to trying to find the evidence to support/prove what you think happened.

Learn and understand the difference between investigation and analysis. A trained investigator records/collects evidence, an analyst reviews/evaluates that evidence to conclude what is applicable and relevant. Make a record of everything you learn, worry about whether it's pertinent later during analysis of the evidence.

Understand the paranormal investigation programs you see on TV are ratings/money driven, they care far less about proper investigations than they do staying on the air. Most are crap.

Duke brings up a good point. I watch the shows to learn about what gear is out there. But they are, above all else, entertainment and theater. Don't put too much stock in what you see on TV (except Skinwalker Ranch. ;) )

Reactions: Selectric
Research First. After coming up with a question, proper scientific investigation finds as much existing information as possible before experimenting. Is an area thought to be haunted. Look at the history and see if something significant has happened there before (such as a death or occult activity). You will be better prepared in every way if you do not go in 'blind'.

As a few have noted above - decide what you are after and get the gear you need for that ... although I might say an EMF meter might be about as all-purpose as you can get.

I want to just jump in and say that while going in with a scientific approach is great, and the "right" way to investigate, don't feel that if you can't design a scientifically rigorous approach to a location, it's not worth doing.

What folks are trying to tell you is that most things have a mundane explanation, and some research will help you be discriminating.

But don't shy away if you can't or don't want to be formal about it. Take your time, work out your own style. Above all, you must enjoy it on some level or you won't stick with it.

Just don't become one of those people who feel that EVERYTHING they see, feel, or hear on an investigation is paranormal. Almost all of it ISNT.

Reactions: Selectric
I will add this. If you can find an experienced team to train with, do it. Learn the ins and outs before you jump in solo. This applies to doing home investigations especially! If you are new to the field, don't present yourself as "investigators" unless you have had prior experiences doing it. Had someone I know personally decide to present herself as an investigator with zero prior experience and ended up stirring up a paranormal hornet's nest.

Start with empty buildings and hone your skills. READ a lot of info about what you may be investigating and get a base of knowledge before diving in.