I think my son is starting to show his empathic side

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
For those who don't know I have a son who's 21 months old. So here's the course of events in the past 24 hours.

So my elephant ear betta fish, Marshall, died last night. We had him for a year. He was fun to have around in the kitchen, but we knew he was ready to go because it was harder for him to float to the top of the tank. My son was asleep by the time I found out, right as I was about to feed him, so nothing strange at that point.

This morning I flushed him and sanitized his tank. 20 minutes ago I brought the tank and accessories into the living room to put them on my local buy and sell.

My son hasn't seen much of Marshall except for the times we're carrying him in the kitchen. He actually picked Marshall out when my wife and him were in the city a year ago.

Anyhow, what's odd is as i brought the things in the living room to take pictures, my son was fixated to the empty tank. He was pointing to it as he got closer, and when he got within reach, he pointed to the bottom of the tank.

Coincidentally he was pointing where Marshall was lying in the tank last night............

He doesn't have a tendency to point at all. He either raises his hands so we lift him if he wants something, or he grabs things for himself. But he was drawn to the empty tank for some reason.

And no I didn't let my son see marshall dead. We actually waited til he was with grandma before we flushed him. But I guess he knew.

Are all kids this sensitive to things like this?

Reactions: Lynne and TonyM
I think all children are born with these gifts and skills of empathy and also psychic senses. It's not until the adults get involved that these gifts get suppressed. Like any skill set, some kids may have more than others.

I was lucky and was raised with the gifts being treated as normal. I have two grandkids who also display these skills, one more so than the other.

Reactions: Lynne and TonyM
I think all children are born with these gifts and skills of empathy and also psychic senses. It's not until the adults get involved that these gifts get suppressed. Like any skill set, some kids may have more than others.

I was lucky and was raised with the gifts being treated as normal. I have two grandkids who also display these skills, one more so than the other.
Rest assured I'm not letting anyone suppress his gift. I grew up like that and it took me quite a while to get those abilities back.

I'm sure that in a supportive environment, abilities like this can grow exponentially if that's what they were meant to be

Reactions: TonyM
I don't have the sensitivities that many on this forum have. I have learned that it can be a good thing and bad thing, especially when you cannot turn off these abilities.

Kids are connected to the other side for a while. They are sensitive to things that would suprise adults. It's normal for them. I recommend getting him another fish.

My daughter talked to our animals for a long time as a child.

That would have been nice. I remember things vividly from my childhood (ages 10 and younger), but I don't remember ever seeing ghosts or spirits.

Reactions: Debi and Lynne
Kids are connected to the other side for a while. They are sensitive to things that would suprise adults. It's normal for them. I recommend getting him another fish.

My daughter talked to our animals for a long time as a child.
That's a wonderful gift. I've always wondered what it would be like to talk with animals.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi