I Remember Exactly Where I Was When....

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Many people talk about knowing where they were when historical events, usually negative ones such as Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy Assasination, or 9/11, occurred.

Tell us about where you were when a positive significant event in your life occurred.

I was on the phone with my daughter because she had called me when the first plane hit the twin towers. I turned on the TV and we were talking when the second plane took down the other tower. That was the worst feeling that I have ever had! Nobody knew if this was a one-time thing or just the beginning of a living hell.

Reactions: Selectric
In 1969, I was 13 years old when the Apollo 11 astronauts landed on the moon. I spent the night at the home of my then best friend to watch the first human steps on the moon because they had a color television.

Disappointedly, the images sent back were in black & white, but we didn't care. We spent the next couple hours glued to the TV, eating popcorn and drinking Koolaid, then stayed up well into the wee hours of the next morning talking about what we'd seen.

That simple frame house was torn down a few years back, the land now occupied by an upscale, foo foo coffee shop. I drive by it almost daily, and every time I do, I think of watching the first moon landing/walk.

That's a hard one Duke, I remember plenty of bad things. I do remember the opening of the Sydney opera house when I was 10. We were staying with rich friends in a penthouse in Sydney and I went to the roof to watch it. Problem was I didn't tell mum and when she was told I was on the roof she panicked, thinking I'd fallen. The celebration turned into a bad day for me :fearscream:, lol.

I agree with Oz about plenty of bad events leaving their marks on our memory. I do have distinct memories of where, when, what song was playing perhaps to meeting certain people in my life. My very first concert i remember very well as it was the only time i and a friend from school went with my brother who was on leave from army for holidays. Ozzy and Anthrax...great show btw ;bg2

Not wanting to make it political, but the presidential election back in 2008. I was living in Gainesville FL, and I could hear so much celebrating that it sounded like New Year's day. I remember thinking that it was a historical moment.

That's a hard one Duke, I remember plenty of bad things.
I agree with Oz about plenty of bad events leaving their marks on our memory.
reminds me of this little thing. it seems we learn more from the bad and it stays with us forever........

pleasure and sorrow.jpg

This question was always weird to me. When someone asks 'Where were you when this horrible/notorious crime was committed?' I start getting worried that I might not have a very solid alibi.