I just had a disturbing experience

It definitely seems like you are sensitive, I admire your acceptance of these spirits. I work as an ER nurse, so death can be a daily occurrence in my life. I wonder if something followed me home from the hospital.
Jen, I worked geriatric nursing for years, and yes, it can happen. That's why you need to be assertive and tell it to move on. First, if it is a spirit energy of someone, it does need to move on to the next realm. Second, if it's not "someone", it still needs to move on back to where it belongs. Don't be afraid to tell it so. This is your home, and you should be comfortable in it, not looking over your shoulder or afraid of your basement. Stand firm in your faith and resolve and claim your space. If this doesn't work or makes it worse, then I will be advising you to get outside help.

And here I come again....let me say this one more time. Oz, you are right on this. We actually don't have proof of what causes activity. We have history, myth, reports, and some holy writings to base this on, and we know what tends to work to control the phenom to some degree. As Donna K has pointed out for us, it is energy....as we all are. And we never have full control of it. We can try to manage it the best way we know how. It is not meant to be in this realm and we truly don't know what it is doing here.
That's a relief Debi,I thought I was going to get into trouble for a second.

Reactions: Donna K.
Jen, I worked geriatric nursing for years, and yes, it can happen. That's why you need to be assertive and tell it to move on. First, if it is a spirit energy of someone, it does need to move on to the next realm. Second, if it's not "someone", it still needs to move on back to where it belongs. Don't be afraid to tell it so. This is your home, and you should be comfortable in it, not looking over your shoulder or afraid of your basement. Stand firm in your faith and resolve and claim your space. If this doesn't work or makes it worse, then I will be advising you to get outside help.
Thank you so much for your advise and wisdom. As I mentioned, this morning I firmly told it to leave, since then the noise from the basement has gotten louder. I finally decided to go down into the basement to once again demand that it leave. As I turned to go back up the stairs it felt like I was punched in the back hard enough that I stumbled forward. My situation with this “shadow” seems to be quickly escalating.

Reactions: Benway
Thank you so much for your advise and wisdom. As I mentioned, this morning I firmly told it to leave, since then the noise from the basement has gotten louder. I finally decided to go down into the basement to once again demand that it leave. As I turned to go back up the stairs it felt like I was punched in the back hard enough that I stumbled forward. My situation with this “shadow” seems to be quickly escalating.
Jen, you may need some clergy help there. A simple house blessing may help, but if not, you need to take it up a level if it's punched you. Working with what we work with (I'm retired now) you know we deal with people and things outside of the norm at times. It's possible you picked something up.

LOL! Now Oz, I am really not a scary person! :p You give some great advice! You keep that up.
Truth be told I thought you were about to line him up too. :)

Jen77, rack your brain for anything leading up to the night you first saw it walking home because that could just be the first time you noticed it and not necessarily the time things began. Really fine tooth comb it.

Also take inventory on anything you have in the basement that could somehow be tied into this. I’m coming to find out that a lot of times there’s “clues” all along, they’re just not obvious until hindsight and then looking back there can be some facepalm worthy “why didn’t I notice that?” moments.

Reactions: Benway and Donna K.
That’s what I’ve been doing, trying to figure out what could have brought this on, but you’re right what if it’s been around for a while and I’m just now seeing it. I have a feeling that it came from the hospital and I can’t explain why I feel this way. I am sure that being pushed was in response to me telling it to leave.

It definitely seems like you are sensitive, I admire your acceptance of these spirits. I work as an ER nurse, so death can be a daily occurrence in my life. I wonder if something followed me home from the hospital.
Jen, I don't invite anything home. If something follows me home, I have those two simple rules: do not tear up the house and don't harm anyone. I have put my foot down and asked the entities to behave...and they behave.

I heard noises again in the basement this morning, and I assertively asked the shadow to leave. The noise did stop. But as soon as I came home from work, the noise started almost as soon as I was in the door, and louder than before.
I once was awoken by a loud noise; I discovered the smoke alarm was thrown off the wall and located in the bathroom. Whatever took the smoke alarm off the wall carefully removed it off the wall before throwing it. This only happened once. If it continued, I would have put my foot down.

We truly can't, and the names we give it are all semantics. We use shadow people as a name for those things that tend to act the same, ghosts for others, spirits for others. We classify the energies per their actions or what we perceive of them. What we are really doing is assuming a lot on the bits of evidence we have. What we have to be very careful NOT to do is assume anything is benign. It CAN be, but to assume anything is, without some evidence, is a bit on the dangerous side, as many dark energies play nice at first. This does not mean we have to fear it, but it does mean we have to discern very carefully how we interact with any energy/being/entity.

To those of you out there that think it's nice to have an energy hanging out with you, let me remind you that this is NOT their realm. They are not supposed to be in your life. Unless the energy is a visiting Angel/Spirit that briefly comes to deliver a message and leaves, it is not supposed to be on this side of the veil. If they were, they'd be everywhere all the time interacting with everyone, and science, physics and religion all come together on this particular point.
Debi, we don't know what any of this stuff is. I've learned to coexist with these. I think we need to respect what we don't know. I've had some positive interactions that were actually helpful.