I have a question

TonyM

Deactivated Account
Reaction score
Website
monaghan.tv
I'm dieting and I know I shouldn't but loving to cook I watch a lot of food videos. A lot of these cookery vids talk about kosher salt in recipes, I know what kosher is but I've never seen kosher salt and it isn't available here that I can find. So the question is why?

Reactions: Benway
I don't see kosher salt in too many grocery stores. I would guess it's considered a niche item, but these stores carry other items like Himalayan salt and duck fat cooking oil/lard. So why not kosher salt? I don't know. However, if you are wanting kosher salt I would suggest going to a restaurant supply store. That's what I do, the kind I get comes in a 3 pound box.

Reactions: Benway and TonyM
I'm dieting and I know I shouldn't but loving to cook I watch a lot of food videos. A lot of these cookery vids talk about kosher salt in recipes, I know what kosher is but I've never seen kosher salt and it isn't available here that I can find. So the question is why?

Kosher salt is often recommended by TV chefs because it has a less intense and more pure, salty taste and because it's easier to pick up the crystals and toss them into the pot!

What is Kosher Salt, and why all the Hype? > Start Cooking

Reactions: TonyM
Kosher salt is often recommended by TV chefs because it has a less intense and more pure, salty taste and because it's easier to pick up the crystals and toss them into the pot!

What is Kosher Salt, and why all the Hype? > Start Cooking
I'm confused! How can salt taste less intense but more salty? TV chefs! It reminds me of my wine shop days when describing fermented grape juice as tasting like 'freshly mown grass with an uneasy undertone building to a petrol explosion' made perfect sense. That still makes sense to me, but this much surely be some similar foodie code and not plain English.
"However, when you go to the grocery store, you’re likely to have a choice of two: ordinary table salt or kosher salt."
Not here (England)! I get sea or rock salt available in different levels of coarseness, salt grinders, for precision/ showing off and even smoked salt from Greece, but no kosher salt. I've never heard of it! Since we do have observant Jews here, I assume that kosher salt must be the same as coarse salt, but with different branding. Either that or the observant Jewish population here all have lower blood pressure.

Who knew that sodium chloride came in so many different varieties? I'm now going to be on the look-out for deep-fried salt and pickled salt. And low sodium salt for my dad! :p

Last edited:
Looked it up and there's no difference between kosher salt and sea salt. Iodized salt is processed and that changes the flavor. Just like smoked salt from Greece.
I use Kosher and Sea Salt all the time. I can get both at Kroger. The course Kosher salt is chunky and has a clearer flavor to it. At least to my tastebuds!

Both Kosher and Sea Salt are available in just about every grocery store here in the States.

Reactions: Debi