Human cloning near?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Is it time to worry about human cloning again?

People are copying pets to preserve a physical – and spiritual – connection to dead children. MIT Technology Review reports.

Monni Must’s black labrador Billy Bean, right, and his clone Gunni, left. Photograph: Monni Must
When Barbra Streisand revealed to Variety magazine that she’d had her dog cloned for $50,000, many people learned for the first time that copying pets and other animals is a real business.

That’s right: you can pay to clone a dog, a horse or a top beef bull and get a living copy back in a matter of months.

The story that sent shivers up my spine, though, came out a few days later. It was about Monni Must, a Michigan portrait photographer who paid to clone Billy Bean, a Labrador retriever that had belonged to her oldest daughter, Miya.

Miya had committed suicide 10 years earlier. To Must, cloning the elderly dog was a way to keep her daughter’s memory alive and, she says, to “protect” her grief.

During the cloning procedure, Must received updates, including sonograms of the developing puppy. The timeline seemed full of profound coincidences. Veterinarians detected the clone’s heartbeat on Miya’s birthday, 11 October. The puppy was born in November, the same month Miya killed herself.

“It’s a sign. For me, it’s a sign that Miya is involved and aware,” Must told me.

Alarm bells went off in my head. Must wasn’t just cloning a pet. She was trying to preserve a lost child. It seemed awfully close to a real human cloning scenario, one in which a heartbroken parent tries to replace a son or daughter who dies early.

I shot a question to Jose Cibelli, an animal cloning scientist at Michigan State University: is it time to worry about human cloning again?

Cibelli quickly emailed back: “Yes.”

Full story at site

I really see this as in the works, folks. From an ethical standpoint, if they accomplish human cloning, does that clone have rights and does it have a soul?

Reactions: Charleh
I really see this as in the works, folks. From an ethical standpoint, if they accomplish human cloning, does that clone have rights and does it have a soul?
I believe all life forms have a soul. And if it has a brain, it’s as sentient as the original copy. Even identical twins are two separate people who’s personalities can vary. There’s no doubt in my mind they are entitled to the same dignity and rights as the original person.

I hate to be so cynical about a touchy subject like grief, but death is a fact of life and the grieving process is something we all need to go through, no matter how long that takes. And if we think we can clone an animal or person to feel like that person or animal is still there, were deluding ourselves. Like i said before every life form, especially a human being or other mammal, is an individual and irreplaceable.

Reactions: Debi
I believe all life forms have a soul. And if it has a brain, it’s as sentient as the original copy. Even identical twins are two separate people who’s personalities can vary. There’s no doubt in my mind they are entitled to the same dignity and rights as the original person.

I hate to be so cynical about a touchy subject like grief, but death is a fact of life and the grieving process is something we all need to go through, no matter how long that takes. And if we think we can clone an animal or person to feel like that person or animal is still there, were deluding ourselves. Like i said before every life form, especially a human being or other mammal, is an individual and irreplaceable.
Well said, Charleh.

Reactions: Lynne
I wouldn’t surprise me to find out they had already cloned humans. I don’t thinl it’s a good thing but I agree with Charlie. Every living thing is it’s own being cloned or not.

Reactions: Debi

Let’s jump forward to the time when we do reveal that some people are in fact clones. One of the legal points I ponder is who are the parents? Does legal parent lineage differ if one of the biological donors was a willing participant and the other was not? These are probably questions already addressed in the USA because of in vitro fertilization and surrogate mothers. But the cloning technology and technique will add another wrinkle.

As for “souls”...I sure hope so...else vessels for BEKs?

From a practical point, dogs smell each other in order to identify each other. I wonder if Billy and Gunni get confused because of them possibly having similar scents?

Reactions: Lynne
Let’s jump forward to the time when we do reveal that some people are in fact clones. One of the legal points I ponder is who are the parents? Does legal parent lineage differ if one of the biological donors was a willing participant and the other was not? These are probably questions already addressed in the USA because of in vitro fertilization and surrogate mothers. But the cloning technology and technique will add another wrinkle.

As for “souls”...I sure hope so...else vessels for BEKs?
Good points Wands. I hope society decides this is a bad idea and we don’t have to worry about these issues.