Human beings are acting weird

No jokes, and I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind that fit the description after reading this post was hipsters :tearsofjoy:.

But on a serious note, I've picked up on it as well and as mentioned already, especially in the younger generations. I think it comes down to a wide range of possible factors:

1. Firstly I'd say the parenting. Either both parents work erratic hours and are not available to assist their child in growing up accordingly. But I've also noticed that a lot of modern parents are just useless on a frightening level and don't care what their kids do or take part in their lives. Ultimately I feel this can result in many kids in this situation to try figure things out for themselves with no one to correct them where necessary. So if they identify something as right when it's not, there's no one to fix it and they tend grow up to have this obscure and mindless ideology.

2. Social media is often a major problem. I'd say a lot of people these days are also very gullible and not free thinkers. They're highly susceptible to having others think for them. All they need is to encounter some messed up social media channel and you end up with someone who hasn't a clue what's going on around them and believes in pseudo-social problems. I know two people from my school who were intelligent and nothing like what's been described in this post. I don't know who spoke to them or what articles they read but now they're one of the anti-vaccination believers.

3. I see video games was mentioned as a possible cause and to some extent I agree but also disagree. People are social creatures and given how the gaming world has grown, there is often communication going on during game play. I'm a hardcore gamer myself and I can assure you I'm nothing like what's been described in the post. Often these people that interact on online games tend to meet up one way or another and hang out, and I've seen in this case those people's social skills are fine and they often continue to behave normally. But if it's a game that doesn't really have a strong social aspect or doesn't allow for online communication/interaction, then yes I can believe that would result in mindless beings. But during my competitive days I've seen weed runs rampant among players and these guys are often reclusive and don't interact well, mainly because some of them progress to harder drugs and their minds are shot.

4. Personal mindset. Some people just aren't ambitious in life. I've seen during my varsity days, a lot of the students go to university because their parents forced them to. There's just no drive in them to excel and perform, they literally just want to chill everyday for the rest of their lives. I honestly don't know how people can be like that especially in these tough times. I've always been driven and when money was tight I couldn't sit back and wait for something to come up. I'd honestly get episodes of anxiety if I wasn't trying to make some sort of plan while I wait for job agencies to get back to me.

5. Weak minds. To me a lot of people, especially youths, don't exercise their minds. People don't try learning something new, they don't try stepping out of their comfort zones and this has been shown to result in the mind "rotting" away. This often results in people becoming mentally lazy, unimaginative, ignorant and therefore cannot interact with people with "stronger" minds effectively. I've spoken to people that fall under this factor and it is painful because they literally can't talk about anything other than what little they know about their surroundings.

That's honestly my opinion as to what's contributing to this phenomenon, but I've come to terms with what's happening. I wouldn't regard it so much as strange but more alarming as to how many people are like this.

Sorry but I don't think this is just youths or just millennials by any means. And the original post talks about family changing as if later on.