How we 'become' the tools we use.

Rowan2222

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
How we integrate tool use with ourselves.

It is a common phenomenon that after a while of using a tool it become second nature. This may be a golf club, garden rake , sewing needle or a 18 wheeler truck.
We no longer have to think how we are using the tool - this becomes naturally integrated into our brain, and we just perceive ourselves as part of it - even if that is 70ft long and 8 feet wide. We just naturally adapt that that is how big we are now.

It is a common phenomenon that after a while of using a tool it become second nature. This may be a golf club, garden rake , sewing needle or a 18 wheeler truck.
We no longer have to think how we are using the tool - this becomes naturally integrated into our brain, and we just perceive ourselves as part of it - even if that is 70ft long and 8 feet wide. We just naturally adapt that that is how big we are now.
We commonly call this muscle memory. Sports figures such as baseball players rely on repetition to reinforce proper mechanics.

I agree. the learning process can be frustrating when it comes to certain tools. I have had the privilege of working in many different fields in my lifetime so far ;)
In my experience people take to certain tools or tasks naturally, for me it was since I was 6 yrs old and now, computers. Programming and the tech side, building and repair of hardware. At 18 I entered into the tree trimming industry. In the beginning I found it frustrating as I never used chain-saws, free climbing gear, heavy equipment, where other co-workers learned quicker than myself. However I am stubborn and was determined to master these tools. That is when I learned the teacher is just as important as the student. After finding a certain teacher, the learning process seems less frustrating and I as was said made the tools as an extension of myself, thus propelling me into the higher ranks of the industry and eventually my own company.
When this happened I was now the teacher and have been told I was quite good at teaching. That is when I noticed how certain crew took to certain tasks naturally where others struggled. One instance, I hired 2 tree climber trainees. One took to the task like he was a squirrel, the other not so much. Both were excellent workers, however only one would become the climber, where the other became excellent at operating the ground equipment.

I have always said my laptop is an extension of my body. And Critter is also right about the muscle memory playing a big part in this. You will notice when you switch to a different laptop/tool, it takes a bit to get used to it. That's the muscles getting used to a new feel of a keyboard, or golf club, or even bat in baseball!

I have always said my laptop is an extension of my body. And Critter is also right about the muscle memory playing a big part in this. You will notice when you switch to a different laptop/tool, it takes a bit to get used to it. That's the muscles getting used to a new feel of a keyboard, or golf club, or even bat in baseball!
As a computer tech, I understand that technology makes life easier. My Grandpa taught me things as a kid and when I asked why, he said "What happens if the power goes out and never comes back?" So he taught me how to live without technology and power. To cook etc.... This knowledge.... without it I don't think I would have survived 6 yrs homeless

As a computer tech, I understand that technology makes life easier. My Grandpa taught me things as a kid and when I asked why, he said "What happens if the power goes out and never comes back?" So he taught me how to live without technology and power. To cook etc.... This knowledge.... without it I don't think I would have survived 6 yrs homeless
I can’t imagine how hard that must have been. I hope life has gotten easier for you now. Sorry to hear that Ragnar.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Our mind is an amazing thing. We adapt well when we have to. I thought of typing right away. I can’t tell you the order of the keys until my fingers are resting on them.

My knowledge got me out of that situation years ago. :)
Thanks Lynne.

Reactions: Lynne