How to survive a Monster attack!

I love the woods and always have. Where I was raised there were a lot of wood patches and as you got older you moved from the little ones to bigger ones and eventually into the endless wooded swamps. I spent thousands of hours out there. When I was a teenager you could drive to the lakes and I suspect that half the kids raised there lost their virginity out in the woods around that lake. Eventually, they closed the road because the cops said that it was a drug place where kids were buying, selling, and using drugs. That was mostly Bull$hi++.

For me, though it was great. Most people won’t walk so I had it all to myself most of the time at night. I would walk down there and sometimes fish or just sit on the bank and stargaze. There was a critter that lived out there. It always had been there but there were too many people when you could drive there and it stayed further out in the swamps. Eventually, I guess that it got used to my nocturnal visits and started following me around. I would walk and then before I had gone far “He” would show up and walk along the edge of the swamps and I guess watch me.

I never was afraid of things like that. I loved haunted houses and ghost roads and cemeteries with reputations for odd happenings. One reason that I probably wasn’t to worried is that I was nearly always armed. After a while I started talking to him and gave him a name. I called him Hugo…Were ever I went (you go) went with me. I was a strange kid…I still am I guess. In my teens and into my early 20s I had problems. Back then they didn’t understand Bipolar people. There really weren’t any effective drugs and I refused what they did offer. Strangely, I found my walks with Hugo to be very relaxing and therapeutic.

I worked at a shipyard from 3:30 to midnight and back then they rolled up the streets at midnight so there was nothing to do. After I ate I walked, often until dawn and then would sleep for a while. I told a few people about Hugo and a couple joined me on a few of my walks. Their reaction was a lot different from mine and none ever went with me twice. Hugo seemed to get a lot noisier when I had company. The only time Hugo got aggressive was one time when my German Shephard for feisty with him. She ran into the bushes and then came FLYING back out. Literally flying. I think Hugo grabbed her and threw her. After that, she stayed glued to my side when Hugo showed up.

Where I live we don’t have a lot of critters that mess with people. It probably is that we have always carried guns here and any aggressive critters were tended to a loooooog time ago. I never figured out what or WHO Hugo was. He never came out and never showed up if it wasn’t pitch dark. Even a full moon made him shy. I wonder a lot of times if a lot of the critters that people encounter are like Hugo and just curious and maybe lonely. You hear a lot of stories but almost never is anyone injured or attacked. I was a lot more worried about encountering wild hogs and gators than about Hugo.

When I went on one of my spook hunting runs I was always armed. Haunted houses are not usually in the best parts of town. LOL, I even got a little creeped out one time and made some silver bullets for my 38 derringers. I have reloaded ammo since I was a teenager. I would cast the silver a little undersized and load them pretty light. I wore a silver cross necklace and usually didn’t use a light. I have pale blue eyes and have great night vision. The bad side of that is that I had to wear sunglasses a lot during the day.

Hugo was my only repeated encounter. There were a few houses that seemed to have something that made noise but I never was bothered by anything. At night it is easy to allow little things to get under your skin. When I heard something I would get still and wait and if kept making noise but didn’t approach me I would start moving towards the sound Almost all the time either the noisemaker would go silent or I would find the noisemaker and it would be nothing strange. Old abandoned houses draw rats and the rats draw cats. The only time that I got seriously spooked was one night when I found a hobo sleeping in the old house. We scared the living CRAP out of each other.

Where I live now about the only critter we have are occasional Bigfoot sightings in the national forest over near the lake. I have investigated one OLD cemetery that is out in the back woods. Lots of stories but I never saw or sensed anything. This cemetery goes back to just after the civil war and was used until the late 1920s.

I’ve wandered all over the place. Lots of good memories and reliving them is always a pleasure. Sorry if I bored you to death…

I love the woods and always have. Where I was raised there were a lot of wood patches and as you got older you moved from the little ones to bigger ones and eventually into the endless wooded swamps. I spent thousands of hours out there. When I was a teenager you could drive to the lakes and I suspect that half the kids raised there lost their virginity out in the woods around that lake. Eventually, they closed the road because the cops said that it was a drug place where kids were buying, selling, and using drugs. That was mostly Bull$hi++.

For me, though it was great. Most people won’t walk so I had it all to myself most of the time at night. I would walk down there and sometimes fish or just sit on the bank and stargaze. There was a critter that lived out there. It always had been there but there were too many people when you could drive there and it stayed further out in the swamps. Eventually, I guess that it got used to my nocturnal visits and started following me around. I would walk and then before I had gone far “He” would show up and walk along the edge of the swamps and I guess watch me.

I never was afraid of things like that. I loved haunted houses and ghost roads and cemeteries with reputations for odd happenings. One reason that I probably wasn’t to worried is that I was nearly always armed. After a while I started talking to him and gave him a name. I called him Hugo…Were ever I went (you go) went with me. I was a strange kid…I still am I guess. In my teens and into my early 20s I had problems. Back then they didn’t understand Bipolar people. There really weren’t any effective drugs and I refused what they did offer. Strangely, I found my walks with Hugo to be very relaxing and therapeutic.

I worked at a shipyard from 3:30 to midnight and back then they rolled up the streets at midnight so there was nothing to do. After I ate I walked, often until dawn and then would sleep for a while. I told a few people about Hugo and a couple joined me on a few of my walks. Their reaction was a lot different from mine and none ever went with me twice. Hugo seemed to get a lot noisier when I had company. The only time Hugo got aggressive was one time when my German Shephard for feisty with him. She ran into the bushes and then came FLYING back out. Literally flying. I think Hugo grabbed her and threw her. After that, she stayed glued to my side when Hugo showed up.

Where I live we don’t have a lot of critters that mess with people. It probably is that we have always carried guns here and any aggressive critters were tended to a loooooog time ago. I never figured out what or WHO Hugo was. He never came out and never showed up if it wasn’t pitch dark. Even a full moon made him shy. I wonder a lot of times if a lot of the critters that people encounter are like Hugo and just curious and maybe lonely. You hear a lot of stories but almost never is anyone injured or attacked. I was a lot more worried about encountering wild hogs and gators than about Hugo.

When I went on one of my spook hunting runs I was always armed. Haunted houses are not usually in the best parts of town. LOL, I even got a little creeped out one time and made some silver bullets for my 38 derringers. I have reloaded ammo since I was a teenager. I would cast the silver a little undersized and load them pretty light. I wore a silver cross necklace and usually didn’t use a light. I have pale blue eyes and have great night vision. The bad side of that is that I had to wear sunglasses a lot during the day.

Hugo was my only repeated encounter. There were a few houses that seemed to have something that made noise but I never was bothered by anything. At night it is easy to allow little things to get under your skin. When I heard something I would get still and wait and if kept making noise but didn’t approach me I would start moving towards the sound Almost all the time either the noisemaker would go silent or I would find the noisemaker and it would be nothing strange. Old abandoned houses draw rats and the rats draw cats. The only time that I got seriously spooked was one night when I found a hobo sleeping in the old house. We scared the living CRAP out of each other.

Where I live now about the only critter we have are occasional Bigfoot sightings in the national forest over near the lake. I have investigated one OLD cemetery that is out in the back woods. Lots of stories but I never saw or sensed anything. This cemetery goes back to just after the civil war and was used until the late 1920s.

I’ve wandered all over the place. Lots of good memories and reliving them is always a pleasure. Sorry if I bored you to death…
I really enjoyed reading this. Do you think Hugo was a big foot? Have you gone back there in later years to see if he’s still there ? Did you ever get a telepathic communication ?

I often puzzled about what Hugo was. He for sure was smarter than most of the animals that I was familiar with. There are a lot of nocturnal critters. To some extent, I am one of them. Most are pretty shy and avoid people. Hugo seemed to get used to me and for whatever reason liked to walk along with me. Winter, spring, summer, and fall he was there. I used to go there almost every night as long as it wasn't raining.

Back then there just wasn't anything to do when I got off at midnight. By the time I had bathed, eaten, and headed out it was usually about one AM. The local cops got used to me and my walks. I often stopped by my church and spent some time there, especially if it was cold. I was Chairman of building and grounds so had every right to be there. I would play the piano a little bit, I wasn't very good at it but enjoyed doing it.

The night is a different world from the day and the night people are mostly loners and in my case, they were always friendly. Even the cops seemed to be more laid back at night. I had not always had the greatest relationships with the cops but as I got older they seemed to chill out and not be so bothered by me. I was, by all appearances, a big, tall longhaired hippie. This was the late 60s and early 70s so they didn't like hippies in general. What was funny was that I was not really a hippie. I was a big longhaired redneck. I had horses most of my life and was n avid outdoorsman. My hair was long simply because I liked it that way. I didn't start shaving every day until I was in my 30s. Part native American mostly showed up in my lack of whiskers. When I was 21 I looked a lot younger and was carded at bars. For some reason, the long hair ended that. ???

I still am a night crawler. I seldom go to sleep before 4 AM. I have seen sunrise a lot more often at the end of my day than at the beginning. I read a lot and spend a lot of time in my shops making and doing things. I also do a lot of writing at night when things are quiet.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I often puzzled about what Hugo was. He for sure was smarter than most of the animals that I was familiar with. There are a lot of nocturnal critters. To some extent, I am one of them. Most are pretty shy and avoid people. Hugo seemed to get used to me and for whatever reason liked to walk along with me. Winter, spring, summer, and fall he was there. I used to go there almost every night as long as it wasn't raining.

Back then there just wasn't anything to do when I got off at midnight. By the time I had bathed, eaten, and headed out it was usually about one AM. The local cops got used to me and my walks. I often stopped by my church and spent some time there, especially if it was cold. I was Chairman of building and grounds so had every right to be there. I would play the piano a little bit, I wasn't very good at it but enjoyed doing it.

The night is a different world from the day and the night people are mostly loners and in my case, they were always friendly. Even the cops seemed to be more laid back at night. I had not always had the greatest relationships with the cops but as I got older they seemed to chill out and not be so bothered by me. I was, by all appearances, a big, tall longhaired hippie. This was the late 60s and early 70s so they didn't like hippies in general. What was funny was that I was not really a hippie. I was a big longhaired redneck. I had horses most of my life and was n avid outdoorsman. My hair was long simply because I liked it that way. I didn't start shaving every day until I was in my 30s. Part native American mostly showed up in my lack of whiskers. When I was 21 I looked a lot younger and was carded at bars. For some reason, the long hair ended that. ???

I still am a night crawler. I seldom go to sleep before 4 AM. I have seen sunrise a lot more often at the end of my day than at the beginning. I read a lot and spend a lot of time in my shops making and doing things. I also do a lot of writing at night when things are quiet.
I agree with you, Dan. The world is a different place at night. I think part of that is everyone's "thoughts" and "emotions" are asleep. There's just a different feel in the darkness and it's one of my favorite ways to enjoy life...awake in the night.

Reactions: Lynne

Was this in Texas Dan?