How times have changed!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I have recently been visiting our local high school for conferences on my 16 year old foster. Having a child back in school again has given me a good case of future shock! What a difference! I'm having to learn a whole new world of today's student. They do assignments on Chrome Books and report cards are online. They wear flip flops and have their phones with them. I can't begin to tell you all the other differences I've encountered.

So! Going back to the good old days, what do you remember about your high school years?

1934768_1141811525880911_568872940887392150_n.jpg

We went to the library. We used the Dewey Decimal System. We pored over the Encyclopaedia Britannica or World Book Encyclopedia. We looked things up. We wrote in long-hand and later used typewriters. And it took a lot more time and effort. What do you remember? Share your memories for the next generation who will have no idea of how different it was.

Oh, and to get INTO the school, you have to navigate through security doors, press a button for entry, and wear a visitor badge! It's a 5 minute process just to enter the building!

Reactions: Laura
My schools did not have A/C in the classrooms. We were expected to dress business casual, no jeans, no tanktops, no sneakers (except for gym class). If you were in sports, you wore a dress shirt and tie on game day. Strangely, hair could be any length. The only computers were teletype machines ( very noisy when printing). We addressed each teacher as Miss/Mrs/Mr last name.

We had an open campus with a Dairy Queen w/in walking distance. Most of us drove to school at 16. Had a history teacher who was really into conspiracy theories. She was a total lefty, but wow, she could really make class interesting. Everyone was Mr., Mrs., Ms., except the drunken wood shop teacher. No computers yet. Had a teacher marry a student. He was fired for it, but last I heard they are still together. On game day we wore our football jerseys, otherwise my buddies and I wore khakis and golf shirts because that's where we were headed after school. The golf team was fun, and we got to play everywhere for free. Oh, and I had a column in the school newspaper. My hero was Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Royko, so I wrote funny (to me anyway) social observations. Good Times.
Debi, I went to Merrillville HS, before it turned into small college sized. Played 3 football games at the Brickie Bowl. Don Howell was coaching Hobart then.

Mr. Howell was like a legend for the Brickies! He coached when I was around, too. Don't you love Brickie Bowl? I have some GREAT memories from there, including the fireworks on the 4th of July there. And the Battle of the Bands.

Mike Royko....GREAT one to emulate, Paint! Another legend!

Reactions: Paintman
My schools did not have A/C in the classrooms. We were expected to dress business casual, no jeans, no tanktops, no sneakers (except for gym class). If you were in sports, you wore a dress shirt and tie on game day. Strangely, hair could be any length. The only computers were teletype machines ( very noisy when printing). We addressed each teacher as Miss/Mrs/Mr last name.
You pretty much summed how my school was Christie

Reactions: 7Critter
Just remembered.We wrote our papers in longhand, and it didn't have to be cursive:):):). Can't read it, really can't write it. Never liked it. For those who never lived around NW Indiana, Debi's HS was like the HS football equivalent to Notre Dame.