How many...

I grew up in the SF Bay Area. TVs had only 13 channels in those days. We got the Big 3 networks plus a number of local VHF stations from Oakland and SF so had a total of about 10 or so channels. I hadn't even heard of UHF until later.

In the present, I've cut the cord and just use an antenna and wish I'd done it sooner. Cable is 95% crap anyway. The only cable channel I miss is TCM because I like old movies but there are local stations here that play plenty of them. And, there are places online that offer them free now.

If anyone is thinking of "going antenna" I recommend "Antenna Man" (Tyler) on YouTube. He is a pro antenna installer and has lots of videos on everything about TV antennas. I've followed his recommendations and they've always worked out great.

Antenna Man - Cut The Cord

(I have no connection to him)
Crux , hey thanks for that tip because I'm looking to upgrade my system.
Fun fact - my dad was one of the first TV antenna installers in Joliet, Illinois in late 40s. He was always very proud of that job.
( if you remember your history correctly, Joliet is where Elwood picked up his brother from state prison.)

HOW MANY CHANNELS DID YOU HAVE AS A KID?
Anyone miss really good broadcast TV where it's a communal event ?
We had the standard channels 3, 6 and 10. PBS channel 12. 17, 29 (fox) 48 and 57. Somewhere there was a 65 think it was home shopping lol. Yes, i miss those days when people talked heavily about the tv night before. Haven't seen anything remotely close since Lost was in it's glory.

Reactions: Paulm and Paintman
Yes, i miss those days when people talked heavily about the tv night before. Haven't seen anything remotely close since Lost was in it's glory.
Those were the days of "must see TV" cuz if you didn't watch it in it's time slot there was no going back for a rerun! It also worked for many of those shows...sometimes you watched things just so you could be in on the talk the next day!

Those were the days of "must see TV" cuz if you didn't watch it in it's time slot there was no going back for a rerun! It also worked for many of those shows...sometimes you watched things just so you could be in on the talk the next day!
Radio station in Philly started a Lost discussion. I always tuned in for it while at work. If work waited for 15 mins..well it happens :)

• Big Grin
  • Hands Clapping
Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Radio station in Philly started a Lost discussion. I always tuned in for it while at work. If work waited for 15 mins..well it happens :)
I was very disappointed in the Lost ending. I think they went about a year too long with the show.

Reactions: Selectric
I was very disappointed in the Lost ending. I think they went about a year too long with the show.
For what it was, i came to accept the ending. I think all the mystery got too far ahead of them and trying to cram and answer just fell a bit flat.

Reactions: Debi
Don't think there will ever be anything like it again. The radio station tried doing discussions about other shows. It just didn't work like it did with Lost.

Reactions: Paintman
Don't think there will ever be anything like it again. The radio station tried doing discussions about other shows. It just didn't work like it did with Lost.
The most impact from a show that I recall was the one they did about nuclear war. I think it was called "The Day After". Everyone was stunned.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric