How long do you have?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
‘How Long Do I Have Left?’ AI Can Help Answer That Question

Excerpt:

A new algorithm developed at Stanford Medicine could help. Analyzing data from hundreds of thousands of anonymized medical records, the model predicts which patients are likely to die in the next 3 to 12 months. In early tests, the algorithm analyzed medical data of patients who had already passed away and correctly predicted their remaining life expectancy in 9 out of 10 cases.

The idea of using algorithms in end-of-life care understandably makes people uneasy, so it’s important to be clear: AI isn’t going to make decisions for patients or for doctors, and it’s not going to deny nor discourage care. If a patient wants to proceed with an aggressive treatment regimen, that choice will of course be honored. What AI can do is give patients information they have never had before that can help them realize their preferences as they near the end of their lives, whether that’s remaining mentally aware, being able to spend time with family, avoiding severe pain, or exhausting every possible avenue to defeat their disease.

Entering palliative care too late can mean more time in the hospital pursuing aggressive treatments that offer little chance of improvement, and precious time lost for families. It can also create a financial burden, as patients continue to undergo expensive, curative treatment. Between 2000 and 2014, the average Medicare spending on a beneficiary who died at some point during the year more than doubled. On the other hand, those who enter palliative care too early risk missing out on treatments that could improve their condition and extend their life.

Full story at site.

Reactions: Paintman
The idea of using algorithms in end-of-life care understandably makes people uneasy, so it’s important to be clear: AI isn’t going to make decisions for patients or for doctors, and it’s not going to deny nor discourage care. If a patient wants to proceed with an aggressive treatment regimen, that choice will of course be honored.
That statement right there is false. What it REALLY means is the insurance company will deny you the care you want and tell you what they will pay for. Sure, if you are self pay and have the wealth to pick to be aggressive in treatment, you can. But if you rely on insurance, they will now look at those predictive algorithms and make the decision for you.

That statement right there is false. What it REALLY means is the insurance company will deny you the care you want and tell you what they will pay for. Sure, if you are self pay and have the wealth to pick to be aggressive in treatment, you can. But if you rely on insurance, they will now look at those predictive algorithms and make the decision for you.
No doubt. That and if the algorithm is wrong (its only got a 90% accuracy rating) hospitals could put people into hospice care who might have otherwise lived at least a few more years of treatment continued.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
OH good. a computer game to predict my death. Definitely to save money. They wrote me off years ago and i am still here. They wanted to put me a hospice because they said i would be dead in a month. That was 8 years ago. I go through doctors like crap through a goose. One algorithm they cannot put in the computer is the will to live.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
OH good. a computer game to predict my death. Definitely to save money. They wrote me off years ago and i am still here. They wanted to put me a hospice because they said i would be dead in a month. That was 8 years ago. I go through doctors like crap through a goose. One algorithm they cannot put in the computer is the will to live.
Well put and well done, Sal! I've seen it time and again and it scares the crap out of me that they are going towards this. You and I know the next step is to cut off care to those they "think" should die.

Reactions: sal
Well put and well done, Sal! I've seen it time and again and it scares the crap out of me that they are going towards this. You and I know the next step is to cut off care to those they "think" should die.
They already do this to some extent, choosing if it’s worth giving someone treatment or to let them die.

As for what sal said, the will to live is sometimes the factor that affects the outcome of life and death. Us humans always find a way to squeeze in another day.

They already do this to some extent, choosing if it’s worth giving someone treatment or to let them die.
Big difference in care since I got older. When I was in good health with minor problems, I would get scheduled every 6 months for checkups. Now I have to remind them it has been a year and I need a MRI. They reluctantly see me and you can feel it. I tell him what is going on and they say we don't know. All they want to prescribe are drugs that make me a zombie. They want me to go on disability and fester at home. Screw them. I still work full time, built up a greenhouse that is almost done and live my life. I tell them this and they are in disbelief. I stroke out once a month, take two days off and continue.

Big difference in care since I got older. When I was in good health with minor problems, I would get scheduled every 6 months for checkups. Now I have to remind them it has been a year and I need a MRI. They reluctantly see me and you can feel it. I tell him what is going on and they say we don't know. All they want to prescribe are drugs that make me a zombie. They want me to go on disability and fester at home. Screw them. I still work full time, built up a greenhouse that is almost done and live my life. I tell them this and they are in disbelief. I stroke out once a month, take two days off and continue.
God bless you Sal. I didn’t know you were this sick.

I agree with all your comments.