How Hot is Too Hot?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I have worked through many temps. The older i get it certainly is becoming harder to work in excessive heat. Colder temps, i always kept moving. In the heat, unless you working inside in the ac, nothing you can do to cool yourself down other than a wet rag or something on the back of your neck. I did that digging a trench on 100 degree day. It helped...still stunk lol...but certainly didn't dig quicker.

2 heat stories
I like to chop wood into firewood because it's great exercise and I have to.... can't have giant trees laying around the yard and have to burn something in the fireplace in the winter.
(Even have a bunch of different axes, mauls, and wedges to do different things. Sort of like a set of golf clubs. )
Anyway I had a ridiculously big fire in my burn pit while I'm chopping wood in 32° weather. Soon I sweated through my parka and later took off my sweater. Then was down to a long sleeve t-shirt, wool bibs, and gloves. Woof. It was surreal.

One Summer a guy from Alabama came up to do some consulting work at a steel mill. Now guys from Alabama know a thing or two about heat. We were playing golf in 105° heat humidity index. Sun blazing down. We had a ice chest filled with ice water stuffed with extra hats and towels. Every other hole we would put a cold towel over our neck, hands up to our wrists in the ice water to cool the blood, and a fresh cool wet hat. We were just fine and felt good.

Well Alabama has radar for heat stroke and saw a guy two fairways over - w/ red ears & neck.
We go over to the guy and Alabama wets him down - and drives him over to an air condition halfway house to cool off. A halfway house is what we call a hot dog stand in the middle of the course.
To this day I'm amazed how Alabama saw this guy going into heat stroke from about 75 to 100 yards away.

I had a ridiculously big fire in my burn pit while I'm chopping wood in 32° weather. Soon I sweated through my parka and later took off my sweater. Then was down to a long sleeve t-shirt, wool bibs, and gloves. Woof. It was surreal.
Buddy of mine had a huge fire pit in a clearing by his house. I remember it snowing while we had a blaze going and by the time the snow hit us, it melted and dried lol.