How dependent ....

Discussion in 'Owl's Nest' started by Debi, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Armand

Armand
    Expand Collapse
    Dilectis Dei
    Tier-1 Mod

thats why i have a cheap phone. I use it for calls mainly for important stuff. I think if I did start using a smart phone I would become a zombie and slave to it. I know me I am a very compulsive person (easily addicted) So i dont dare plus I am a cheapskate on limited funds.

Paintman likes this.
  2. Armand

Armand
    Expand Collapse
    Dilectis Dei
    Tier-1 Mod

the internet is very addicting, I have been on the internet ever since I logged on back in 1998 playing diablo learning to write hacks for games I got up to use the bath room and looked at the clock well what do you know? 20 years have gone by!

I went 18 months with out the internet ( not by choice) and soon as I was able it was my first priority! Sad isnt it? they should have internet 12 step meetings.

Paintman, Seahunter and 7Christie like this.
  3. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

I've actually seen those popping up out there. Seems in Japan or China, it's a "thing".

WitchAndShaman, Seahunter and Armand like this.
  4. Seahunter

Seahunter
    Expand Collapse
    AKA "Roy"
    Staff

Problematic Internet use is also called compulsive Internet use (CIU), Internet overuse, problematic computer use, or pathological computer use (PCU), problematic Internet use (PIU), or Internet addiction disorder (IAD)). Another commonly associated pathology is video game addiction, or Internet gaming disorder (IGD).

I know they have been trying to get the disorders included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, but I do not know whether they are in there or not yet.

https://splinternews.com/these-people-are-so-addicted-to-the-internet-that-they-1793849882

Internet Addiction

Internet Addiction: A Brief Summary of Research and Practice

7Christie and WitchAndShaman like this.
  5. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

I saw last week they were adding this one. It's on a thread here somewhere.....

Seahunter likes this.
  6. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

Seahunter, Paintman and Charleh like this.
  7. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

Not for me. Have to have one for work. But it becomes an electronic leash for needy customers. So I've learned to screen calls, make up "out of range " excuses, and flat out refuse texts. No way I'm 38 feet in the air, working, and care about 'emergancys.' That is customer code for anything but.
    And the phone people should be banned from golf courses or standing in line in front of me. One day a fellow contractor had hired me to run a crew for 6 days. His men were on the phones all day. Wonders why he isn't making $.

Debi likes this.
  8. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

Unless you are on call for a medical emergency, or needed to put out a fire, ........... :mad:

Debi likes this.
  9. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

I simply don't pick up if I don't know the number showing. A few people text me, and they get 3 word answers back from me.
    Except for Armand...who I will answer on text...lol He's the only one who gets more than 3 words.

Paintman likes this.
  10. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I was at a live theater performance with a date sometime back in the 1990s. And the person sitting immediately behind me answered her phone during the play. I turned to her and said in the nicest voice possible, “If that call isn’t a medical emergency, or the POTUS calling you, you better power that thing off in fewer than 5 seconds...”

Benway, Paintman, Seahunter and 2 others like this.