How close are we to a “brave new world”?

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
Since were watching a 6 part movie based on Aldous Huxley’s book Brave New World, it begs the question. After 86 years of the book getting published, how close are we to a brave new world scenario in 2018? Here are some of the concepts brought up in the book:

-State sanctioned sexual deviance (promiscuity, shunning abstinence and monogamy)

-destruction of the family unit (“family” is an unheard of concept in the book)

-babies are mass produced and raised/conditioned by the state

-manufacturing babies with mental deficiencies (severely retarded development from deliberately inflicted oxygen deprivation and alcohol exposure) and made to do lower level work

-state imposed caste system, determined by conception by deciding whether you will be smart (Alpha) or severely delayed (Epsilon)

-State enforced consumption of goods (“better to end than mend” as the book says)

-privacy is laughable (everyone is open about the most intimate aspects of their lives)

oh an if you weren’t aware, EVERYONE IN BNW IS ON DRUGS!!!!!!

Here’s a site that delves a little deeper into this topic.
James Dacre: are we living Brave New World's nightmare future?

Reactions: 7Critter
What aspects listed here and on the site do you feel are already integrated into society or are starting to be directly or nonchalantly implemented?

Reactions: Paintman
I'm holding my tongue because if I didn't, it would look like an artillery barrage at Verdun.
Good topic. Add some Animal Farm, 1984, and Lord of The Flies.

Reactions: Debi and TonyM