Hobbits' confirmed separate species

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Hobbits' were a separate species, ancient chompers show | Fox News

1447940120709.jpg

Endocasts of the skulls of a hobbit (left) and a modern human (right). Research by Dean Falk of Florida State University and colleagues has suggested features of the hobbit's skull more closely resembled that of a normal human than a microcepha (Professor Peter Brown, University of New England)

An ancient, 3-foot-tall human whose diminutive stature has earned it the nickname "hobbit" has puzzled evolutionary scientists since its little bones were discovered on the Indonesian island of Flores. Some have suggested the individual was a Homo sapien with some miniaturizing disorder.

Now, teeth from the hobbit suggest it belonged to a unique species rather than a modern human with a growth disorder. The new research also suggests hobbits may share a direct ancestor with modern humans.

The 18,000-year-old fossil remains of the hobbit were discovered in 2003. Since then, scientists have suggested that the hobbit, which had a brain about the size of a grapefruit, was a unique branch of the human lineage Homo, dubbed Homo floresiensis. However, other researchers have argued the hobbit was really a modern human with microcephaly, a condition that leads to an abnormally small head, a small body and some mental retardation. [Real-Life Hobbit: See Photos of Homo floresiensis]

Cool! Hobbits are REAL!

And they eat as much as teenage boys
I call my boys here at home Hobbits. Both have the big old wide feet (Sz 14) and their bedrooms are down another hallway I call the Hobbit hallway. They are both semi-amused with it.

Reactions: Mokey