HMS Audacious WW1 Super Dreadnought

Selectric

Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Ran into this today. Very interesting story. I didn't see (in this article) the story behind the German Captain that issued the laying of the minefield in an area contrary to his orders. He was stripped of command afterwards. Though his in-the-field decision sent ripples through the British Navy. The inclusion of the RMS Olympic in this story is a bonus. HMS Audacious (1912)

Last edited:
I think I remember seeing something about the Audacious in the Olympic's history. The ship was requisitioned by the British Government to serve as a troopship during WWI (as were many) and was returned to the White Star Line after the conclusion of the war.

Reactions: Selectric
I think I remember seeing something about the Audacious in the Olympic's history. The ship was requisitioned by the British Government to serve as a troopship during WWI (as were many) and was returned to the White Star Line after the conclusion of the war.
The Olympic was enroute from America and aided in the rescue operation. Many photos of the Audacious sinking were taken and confiscated by the British to contain the story from the Germans.

Reactions: Lone Wolf
The British Navy was frustrated throughout WW1. They wanted a massive sea battle against the Germans, but the German knew they couldn't go toe to toe against the Brits. Instead they opted to attempt to whittle down the British fleet with smaller combats when they had a tactical advantage.

About the same time the Audacious sunk, another German Uboat sunk three old British cruisers in a single combat. They lost over a thousand men.

Reactions: Selectric
If i remember from the doc that introduced me to the story, the British had a few instances where ships blew up due to poor/rushed designs of their ammunition. They said the force of the explosion that happened lifted a rescue cruiser out of the water.

Last edited:
If you've never read them, Massie's books "Dreadnought" and "Castles of Steel" are outstanding. The first one details the build up of the German and British fleets, the second covers the war's naval battles.

If you've never read them, Massie's books "Dreadnought" and "Castles of Steel" are outstanding. The first one details the build up of the German and British fleets, the second covers the war's naval battles.
I will have to check those out, thanks Duke. Always had a fascination with ships and shipwrecks.