"Helping" a ghost...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
So a friend of mine asked an interesting question recently.

When ghost hunters go into a home and find a spirit they think is "stuck" on this side, are they supposed to help this ghost to the other side? What gives us the right to decide if they should "move" or not? What if they're supposed to be right where they are?

And there's your question. What say you?

In the past few years, I have often asked myself this very question. Especially after my cat passed on, and here it's been five months and she seems to have no desire to move on. Maybe her idea of heaven is right here with the ones that she knew and loved, so it's a safe bet that it can happen with humans, too! There was a house I lived in a long time ago, that I swore that when I died, I would haunt it because I was very happy there. Unfortunately it burned down so I'll have to find someplace else to haunt!

Reactions: ozentity and Debi
Strange, I get two visuals from your question Debi.

First, a portal opening with a huge sucking sound. The spirit is whoooshed inside and the portal snaps shut.

Second is a bothered host who works hard to usher an unwanted guest out the door and closes the door.

I didn’t envision any positive visuals. I guess my input then is if the living were to control the keys to this kingdom - and access to the next - then many would just push the spirits aside. Maybe not our right to do so though.

Last edited:
I believe our spirits are free when we pass,whether some get side tracked I don't know but if the feeling you get is a lost or unhappy one It wouldn't hurt to suggest rather than order it.

Reactions: garnetsilver
It wouldn't hurt to suggest rather than order it.
Yes, maybe the ghost hunter crowd could even “ask” for the spirit’s opinion.

So many of the televised hunting series are using tools like spirit boxes, flashlights, or something even more exotic to communicate with spirits. I would think that most of those tools would allow the hunters to “take a poll” about what the spirit wants.

Once the spirit’s desires were known, it could be easier - and it might be more ethical - to make an informed decision.

“‘Noooooooooo’ means No!” :ghost:

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between a visiting spirit (one that has crossed over) and a haunting ghost (an earth bound soul). I think some get stuck here for their own reasons because we have free will. There are also negative non human entries that cause hauntings too. Now my personal feelings on this are that any problem haunting where they interfere with the living means they need to go. That doesn’t mean they have to cross over but they need to be evicted. A quiet noninvasive ghost if it doesn’t bother the living can be left alone. I feel they don’t have the right to interfere in our lives. We have free will and the right to a peaceful home too. I think the ones who make it known they want help should be assisted in moving on.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I think there is a difference between a visiting spirit (one that has crossed over) and a haunting ghost (an earth bound soul). I think some get stuck here for their own reasons because we have free will. There are also negative non human entries that cause hauntings too. Now my personal feelings on this are that any problem haunting where they interfere with the living means they need to go. That doesn’t mean they have to cross over but they need to be evicted. A quiet noninvasive ghost if it doesn’t bother the living can be left alone. I feel they don’t have the right to interfere in our lives. We have free will and the right to a peaceful home too. I think the ones who make it known they want help should be assisted in moving on.
Very well put!