Heightened Curiosity - RAF Leuchars. UK UFO Tracking Station

Macc_HC

Reaction score
The recent revelations regarding the USS Nimitz encounter may have changed the way many will view the UFO topic. In this episode we learn that the tracking of UFO's by the US and UK military is nothing new.

Listen to the episode below.

Heightened Curiosity - RAF Leuchars. UK UFO Tracking Station on Spotify

[7Critter: Youtube version]

If anyone has any questions just let me know and I'll be more than happy to cover them here. These events confirmed UFO reality for me and showed that our military actively track these objects when they enter British airspace.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recent revelations regarding the USS Nimitz encounter may have changed the way many will view the UFO topic. In this episode we learn that the tracking of UFO's by the US and UK military is nothing new.

Listen to the episode below.

Heightened Curiosity - RAF Leuchars. UK UFO Tracking Station on Spotify

If anyone has any questions just let me know and I'll be more than happy to cover them here. These events confirmed UFO reality for me and showed that our military actively track these objects when they enter British airspace.
Hi Macc, and welcome to the forum. Watched and enjoyed the podcast, I attended an airshow at Leuchars in the mid 2000s while the wife and I were on holiday in Scotland. Beautiful area, very congenial people.

A few comments on the podcast. As your noted, Leuchars' purpose was not solely as a "UFO Tracking Station." It was the RAF main alert base covering the northern UK, North Sea, and GIUK gap, primarily against "Bears" and other Soviet long range aviation. No surprise they picked up anomalous aircraft, however.

As you might know, the time period you were discussing is considered to have been the "golden age" of US black aircraft programs. There were some very interesting things in the sky during that time. Are you familiar with Chris Gibson's North Sea oil rig sighting in the summer of 1989? There is a chance your friend could have been defensively briefed on classified US aircraft, assuming the US alerted the Brits something was headed their way.

If you are open to a suggestion for a future topic, I'd love to hear a show on the 1990 Calvine UFO, photographed over the Highlands. Don't know if you are up to interviewing guests, but you might want to consider talking to this gent. I don't know him, but I'd think if anyone has the latest and greatest on the sighting, this would probably be your guy.

You might also want to look into what allegedly happened at Boscombe Down in September 1994. Great speculative article on the incident in "Air Forces Monthly" in March 1997.

Reactions: Macc_HC and Lynne
Hi Macc, and welcome to the forum. Watched and enjoyed the podcast, I attended an airshow at Leuchars in the mid 2000s while the wife and I were on holiday in Scotland. Beautiful area, very congenial people.

A few comments on the podcast. As your noted, Leuchars' purpose was not solely as a "UFO Tracking Station." It was the RAF main alert base covering the northern UK, North Sea, and GIUK gap, primarily against "Bears" and other Soviet long range aviation. No surprise they picked up anomalous aircraft, however.

As you might know, the time period you were discussing is considered to have been the "golden age" of US black aircraft programs. There were some very interesting things in the sky during that time. Are you familiar with Chris Gibson's North Sea oil rig sighting in the summer of 1989? There is a chance your friend could have been defensively briefed on classified US aircraft, assuming the US alerted the Brits something was headed their way.

If you are open to a suggestion for a future topic, I'd love to hear a show on the 1990 Calvine UFO, photographed over the Highlands. Don't know if you are up to interviewing guests, but you might want to consider talking to this gent. I don't know him, but I'd think if anyone has the latest and greatest on the sighting, this would probably be your guy.

You might also want to look into what allegedly happened at Boscombe Down in September 1994. Great speculative article on the incident in "Air Forces Monthly" in March 1997.
Excellent suggestions. I am listening now.

Many thanks Duke. Very glad you enjoyed your time in Scotland. The Fife coast is a wonderful part of the country.

Yes my RAF friend was convinced that the anomalous targets picked up on radar were terrestrial test vehicles. No doubt that this part of Europe was host to some exotic earthly inventory. The Chris Gibson 'refueling' sighting seemed fairly water tight to me given his background, although it suggested these craft had a more rudimentary propulsion system that we would expect.

The Calvine incident, if true, was pretty incredible. The file has now been locked up until 2072. Unfortunately it happened before my friend was stationed at Leuchars. I'm sure he never made reference to it. Not sure if I'll go down the guest/interview route with the podcast. It's very much a hobby and there are folks doing the interview routine much better than I'm sure I could., but who knows! It's a great suggestion and it certainly fits the profile of the subjects I'd cover (Scottish, ufo, credible, etc!). Now in the regards to the Calvine sightings I read the following blog a while back which raised some interesting questions about the incident:

The above analysis was based on this excellent blog post about the sighting:

By the same author a more recent post which I found of interest:

Reading up on the Boscombe Downs case just now. Can't remember this report so thanks for the recommendation!

Many thanks Duke. Very glad you enjoyed your time in Scotland. The Fife coast is a wonderful part of the country.

Yes my RAF friend was convinced that the anomalous targets picked up on radar were terrestrial test vehicles. No doubt that this part of Europe was host to some exotic earthly inventory. The Chris Gibson 'refueling' sighting seemed fairly water tight to me given his background, although it suggested these craft had a more rudimentary propulsion system that we would expect.

The Calvine incident, if true, was pretty incredible. The file has now been locked up until 2072. Unfortunately it happened before my friend was stationed at Leuchars. I'm sure he never made reference to it. Not sure if I'll go down the guest/interview route with the podcast. It's very much a hobby and there are folks doing the interview routine much better than I'm sure I could., but who knows! It's a great suggestion and it certainly fits the profile of the subjects I'd cover (Scottish, ufo, credible, etc!). Now in the regards to the Calvine sightings I read the following blog a while back which raised some interesting questions about the incident:

The above analysis was based on this excellent blog post about the sighting:

By the same author a more recent post which I found of interest:

Reading up on the Boscombe Downs case just now. Can't remember this report so thanks for the recommendation!
The guy who did the analysis article is on the right track trying to track down the Harriers/pilots involved at Calvine, but apparently he does not know the right RAF aircraft maintenance and disposition documents/forms to ask for through a FOIA request. I don't know if RAF aircrew logbooks and squadron operations record books are accessible through your FOIA. I'd also be working through the Harrier Force Association. There are a number of those in the Harrier world who I can almost guarantee know who was flying those aircraft, but the UK Official Secrets Act tends to keep your military folks very tip lipped.

There is no Aurora aircraft, never has been. "Aurora" was the classified code word associated with B-2 funding, the term somehow got leaked to the public and took on an identity of its own. A similar thing happened to "create" the nonexistent TR-3 a/c, someone seeing and misinterpreting nomenclature for classified Tier 3 UAVs.

I can honestly tell you I don't know what, if anything, crashed at Boscombe Down. I can tell you with near absolute certainty it was not an USAF aircraft if something did crash.

Hope you will do shows on both incidents as few people on this side of the pond are even aware of them.

Reactions: Macc_HC
Thanks for the info Duke. Very much appreciated. I'm not hopeful at all that much or anything new about the Calvine incident will be revealed anytime soon. Will take a closer look at both Calvine and Boscombe Down incidents and see if there is enough material which I can shape a show out of. I'd forgotten all about Calvine so maybe worth reminding others who may have done likewise!

Reactions: Duke

Debi started this thread last week, some interesting photos forty-plus years on.