Haven't seen it...

As somebody who really likes the first six Star Wars movies,* I have never seen the more recent ones. I was excited when they were announced, as I remember them being planned from the 80s, but George Lucas being gone and finding out who was writing and directing worried me and then the trailers and advanced promotion just soured me to the point I didn't want to see them.
I've also never seen Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad or Gillagan's Island. The latter wasn't part of the American TV show repeat roster when I was a kid, so I'm just lost on references to that.
I've also never seen The Breakfast Club or The Princess Bride, which are supposed to be defining gen X movies, but which I only heard of post internet as things everybody my age loved.

*Well I only like The Phantom Menace a bit, but the rest are great.

Omg you all have missed a lot lol.

I have not watched survivor. I’ve seen a few min but never watched a full show.

Round 2000 I had a buddy that was a Lufthansa mechanic. He would fly into Tokyo every week, and bring back the cable TV cheater cards. So for a period, I watched all the movies, OJ trial, LA Shootout, all live and local.

Reactions: Benway
I know this is a “never have” thread but I’ve dropped in to politic. If you haven’t seen Disney’s Maleficent, I’d suggest it. It helps a little to have seen the classic animated Sleeping Beauty of course as Maleficent is about the same legendary story but from the opposing side’s view.

This movie shows the powerful side of fairies. Theme song is coolio creepy like too.

Full disclosure, I myself haven’t seen the more recent sequel but I will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
As somebody who really likes the first six Star Wars movies,* I have never seen the more recent ones.
Depending on who you ask, you haven't missed much. A lot of the older fans see the newer films as being a slap in the face to the original cast. The way Disney handled Luke because Mark Hamill himself wasn't happy with them (and very vocal about it) wasn't cool at all. He was a far cry from who he was in ROTJ in The Last Jedi. I'm a fan of the older films and prequels myself but some fans view these newer films as being non canon. The novels picked up where ROTJ left off and they're way better from what I understand.

Reactions: Benway
I was a little harsh above about them. Being more nuanced, I think the first one is the best. The others aren't quite as good, but they aren't Rambo sequel bad and are still fun. I was just hoping for more. Have fun!
I agree about the first Matrix being the best.

I just don't seem to have the attention span or want to pay attention to much of anything that takes over 30 minutes to get it done. we generally watch nerd TV and if they come up with something of interest I can watch for a few minutes and then go back to what I am doing on the computer or reading whatever I have going. I never am doing only one thing at a time. Movies without much plot probably get more time than one with a complex plot that requires my constant attention. We like the old silly B class horror and science fiction movies to ignore. We don't do real horror. I like to walk at night and like cemeteries at night too much to put that sort of stuff into my mind. Besides that my wife is not going to sit still for much gore at ALL. Honestly, I sort of miss the old Musicals. I am a romantic and like the older idea of romance a lot more than I do the current idea of boy meets girl and they jump in bed. That just isn't very romantic to me. that is how you end up married to a stranger that you then suddenly realize that you don't like very much.

I love the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, Dan. And I agree about romance; Hollywood makes it seem alright to dive headfirst into what could be a disastrous affair as if there were something glamorous about it. :(

My wife and I had a very traditional courtship in part because she was 15 when we met and couldn't date yet. What this did was allow us time to really get to know each other outside of the normal dating scene. For me, it was love at first sight and for almost a year our courtship was made up of long talks on the phone and weekends spent with her family and later with mine when she went to church with me and my family on Sunday.

What this allowed was that we became fast friends long before we became lovers. We have now been married for 45 years and counting and 3 years of going steady. I can honestly say that we have never had any regrets and our friendship has only grown. So many young people get married so fast and then when they get to know the person that they are now living with and tied to is someone that they really don't like very much out of bed.

The real losers in so many of these situations are the kids that they should never have had. Even after our three years dating and going together, we waited 5 years before we started a family. That allowed us time to be well established before adding the chaos that a child will add to any relationship. Kids are just there for a few years our love and friendship is and was for LIFE and we always had each others back and came first. That said we must not have been too hard on our Daughter she and her partner by choice moved in beside us to raise her Daughter with us and we live as one family in two houses.

I just don't seem to have the attention span or want to pay attention to much of anything that takes over 30 minutes to get it done. we generally watch nerd TV and if they come up with something of interest I can watch for a few minutes and then go back to what I am doing on the computer or reading whatever I have going. I never am doing only one thing at a time.
Well, you hit my problem nail on the head right there...lol I can totally relate.