Have you ever....

Yes, I have.

I lived in many places growing up and not just in one country. And I have revisited almost all of them at some point in my life, and I still have a few left to go.

It's one part nostalgia, one part sentimentalism and one part just sheer curiosity as to how things have changed.

About 10 years ago I went back to see the area where I went to high school. I'm not a racist or xenophobe by any means. But to say that the demographics had shifted radically would be an understatement. I trust my instincts. And it just didn't feel right. I sometimes think that things can change too quickly and too much for it to be healthy or natural. While circumstances may have improved for those living there now, in exchange I have lost a part of my soul. I know the light when I see it. And it just wasn't there.
I felt that way too, Ultima. When I moved from Northeastern PA to Florida for ten years, and then returned, so much had changed that I was stunned. The demographics had shifted, too. I try to get along with people no matter what they look like, so it wasn't so much that, but more that the small town feel had vanished. A lot of it happened after 9/11, when businesses affected by the crash were invited to temporarily relocate here, and this invited a big city vibe that wasn't here before.

I grew up in Sydney and now live remotely in Western NSW,most of the small towns around have been taken over and destroyed by drugs(ie ice) so I tend to avoid these places with the crime that follows this.
That’s very true, Australia is facing an ice epidemic they say. That’s something I didn’t mention, my home town has been destroyed by drugs. Very sad but that’s the way it is now. I noticed your other post about concord. I took my kids to the park around that area a couple of weeks ago and noticed all of these grand big houses and yes mostly Asian people. So much diversity here.

That’s very true, Australia is facing an ice epidemic they say. That’s something I didn’t mention, my home town has been destroyed by drugs. Very sad but that’s the way it is now. I noticed your other post about concord. I took my kids to the park around that area a couple of weeks ago and noticed all of these grand big houses and yes mostly Asian people. So much diversity here.
All my family come from that area for generations,my dad was Mayor there for about ten years,his name is on a lot of the plaques in the parks as he opened them to try to preserve some green areas.All the working class have been pushed out by the wealthy now.

Reactions: Lynne and Emma
All my family come from that area for generations,my dad was Mayor there for about ten years,his name is on a lot of the plaques in the parks as he opened them to try to preserve some green areas.All the working class have been pushed out by the wealthy now.
Wow small world, it’s such a nice area too. I love the parks around that area! I’m not going to the parks today though, too bloody hot! Lol

Reactions: ozentity
Wow small world, it’s such a nice area too. I love the parks around that area! I’m not going to the parks today though, too bloody hot! Lol
It's 45 C today out where I live now and smokey,how I long to be back near the coast lol.

Reactions: Lynne and Emma