Have you ever had something (job...chore...date...meal...whatever)...that seemed like the universe just aligned AGAINST you the ENTIRE time?

My younger daughter and my cars. She wrecked 3 cars before she left home at 18. One was a vintage pickup that had been my grandfather's. It was not road worthy and I told her so, but being 15 or 16 (not licensed to drive yet) she could not hear a word I said. My dad had come to convince me to give him the truck and had taken the front left tire off to prove to me that the brakes were fine. I told him to get off my property and he finally left but he did not put the nuts back on the wheel. I was busy and did not get around to fixing it, no one was going to drive it, right? Then a few days later my daughter called me at work and the way she said "Mom?" I knew something had happened. She had driven the truck up the dirt road planning on going to visit her friend and when she headed up the hill the front tire rolled off, wrecking the fender and leaving the whole front of the truck buried in the sand. When I got there I only had a regular jack and could not get a good place to use it when a neighbor showed up on his way home. He had a bumper jack and it was like an angel from heaven came to rescue us. He and his friend got the bumper jacked up so I could get the tire back on but there were only 2 nuts to hold it on so I had to drive very slowly home. I made my daughter walk. So yes, some things just did not work with my daughter and cars, and also like Lynne said, people just show up at the right time to help.

Yesterday was actually a decent day...until the final hour before clocking out. I was putting stuff back into my truck when a woman with a nasty dog comes up to me. She seemed like your typical nosy/miserable/ highly spoiled person who always gets what they want. She started complaining to me how the sprinklers were STILL running on the side of the building. She started asking me what i was doing there and if i was the one messing with the sprinklers LOL. I said i was working in the kitchen and had nothing to do with that. So again...she started complaining to me about the sprinklers making it seem like it was somehow my fault lol. So i go inside and find the time clock for the unit i was working in and shut it off. This woman was WAITING outside the door for me to complain more lol. The sprinklers were still running so i told her they were NOT from the unit i was working in but she would NOT except any answer from the grubby blue collar guy that obviously is far lower on the life scale than Mrs Wonderful lol. That is when my voice went up a notch and asked her what she wanted me to do... i have done all that was humanly possible and they were from another unit. I believe she was going to call every real estate office on the island to complain until she found the owner of whatever unit the sprinklers belonged too. As i left, she stared at my truck (curious if she called my boss to complain lol) cause she was on her phone complaining to the next poor soul.

• Wow
Reactions: garnetsilver
I posted this in another thread the other day. Had to add this cause this dog was exactly hers...coincidence? Lol.

• Haha
One story that comes to mind is when I lived in Florida. I wanted to attend a function that happened only one day a month. It was for adults with common interests, and I wanted to see what it was like. Since retiring, I have always had an odd sleep schedule, not waking until after 12 noon most days. The function was designed to be held over the lunch hour, which meant I had to get up earlier than usual. I also had to leave with enough time to catch two buses.

The first time I left the house, it began to rain heavily. Even though I had an umbrella with me, my legs and feet were getting drenched. I was used to this, being typical spring weather in Florida. When I got to the bus stop, a car went by and sent up a wave of water that drenched me from head to foot. I had to turn around and go back home to change in to dry things. Mission scratched for the day. Naturally I had wait an entire month until I could try again. So this time, I wore clothing that would dry quickly, took my umbrella and a packed lunch. The same thing happened; as soon as I left the house, the skies opened and I had to shelter in a car deck and wait for it to let up. I missed my bus but decided to be late. If I went home again, it would be still another month before I could go. I also felt strongly compelled to go and it seemed like things were conspiring against me for sure!

When another car came by and sent up a wave of water I got out of the way but still had drenched legs and feet. I caught the next bus, and got to the location a half an hour late. I straggled in, with sopping wet pant legs and sandals and saw about seven people sitting around a table chatting. One of those people was my future husband.

One of those people was my future husband.
That is an awesome outcome. Life does throw stuff at us, but on those random times we have to 'get dirty' to receive. If you had made it the first time, would you have met your husband? Interesting when you look back on events that alter your path.

One story that comes to mind is when I lived in Florida. I wanted to attend a function that happened only one day a month. It was for adults with common interests, and I wanted to see what it was like. Since retiring, I have always had an odd sleep schedule, not waking until after 12 noon most days. The function was designed to be held over the lunch hour, which meant I had to get up earlier than usual. I also had to leave with enough time to catch two buses.

The first time I left the house, it began to rain heavily. Even though I had an umbrella with me, my legs and feet were getting drenched. I was used to this, being typical spring weather in Florida. When I got to the bus stop, a car went by and sent up a wave of water that drenched me from head to foot. I had to turn around and go back home to change in to dry things. Mission scratched for the day. Naturally I had wait an entire month until I could try again. So this time, I wore clothing that would dry quickly, took my umbrella and a packed lunch. The same thing happened; as soon as I left the house, the skies opened and I had to shelter in a car deck and wait for it to let up. I missed my bus but decided to be late. If I went home again, it would be still another month before I could go. I also felt strongly compelled to go and it seemed like things were conspiring against me for sure!

When another car came by and sent up a wave of water I got out of the way but still had drenched legs and feet. I caught the next bus, and got to the location a half an hour late. I straggled in, with sopping wet pant legs and sandals and saw about seven people sitting around a table chatting. One of those people was my future husband.
Perfect story, Garnet! I love it!

My mom signed me up for a "computer dating service" (circa 1975 so ya just know it was two guys matching up index cards at a table) and that's how I met my hubs.

Perfect story, Garnet! I love it!

My mom signed me up for a "computer dating service" (circa 1975 so ya just know it was two guys matching up index cards at a table) and that's how I met my hubs.
Amazing! IMO, it's usually rare that those things work out in a positive way.

Reactions: Selectric