Haunted Destinations Thread

Has anyone been to The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California?
The history behind it is that Sarah Winchester heir to the Winchester Rifle Empire built the house. It was said that she was haunted by the spirits of people who were killed by Winchester Rifles and she would do seances and built the house the way that the spirits said to. The house is said to hold portals, and is one of the most hunted houses in California. It has stairways leading into dead ends in the ceilings, doors that open to nothing. The house is said to be a labyrinth and that Sarah never stopped adding things onto the house until she died. Sarah felt that by using the money she inherited from the Winchester Rifles to build a house specifically for the spirits who were killed by them was her way of saying sorry and giving them peace. The house is now a museum and they do regular tours as well as ghost tours. It's a 7 hour drive from where I live and have always wanted to visit, I have done tons of research on not just the house but Sarah Winchester herself and it has fascinated me. But I have never spoken to anyone who has ever visited, just read things that people have posted online. The house itself is beautiful alone but the haunted history it holds makes it even more beautiful.
If you've never heard of The Winchester Mystery House I highly suggest looking it up, the story of Sarah Winchester and her house is truly amazing.

WinchesterMysteryHouseCover.jpg

The history behind it is that Sarah Winchester heir to the Winchester Rifle Empire built the house. It was said that she was haunted by the spirits of people who were killed by Winchester Rifles and she would do seances and built the house the way that the spirits said to. The house is said to hold portals, and is one of the most hunted houses in California. It has stairways leading into dead ends in the ceilings, doors that open to nothing. The house is said to be a labyrinth and that Sarah never stopped adding things onto the house until she died. Sarah felt that by using the money she inherited from the Winchester Rifles to build a house specifically for the spirits who were killed by them was her way of saying sorry and giving them peace. The house is now a museum and they do regular tours as well as ghost tours. It's a 7 hour drive from where I live and have always wanted to visit, I have done tons of research on not just the house but Sarah Winchester herself and it has fascinated me. But I have never spoken to anyone who has ever visited, just read things that people have posted online. The house itself is beautiful alone but the haunted history it holds makes it even more beautiful.
If you've never heard of The Winchester Mystery House I highly suggest looking it up, the story of Sarah Winchester and her house is truly amazing.

View attachment 15689
I've been there. The wife has been there twice. It's a really neat place, but it's hard to feel anything in there during tour hours, with all the people passing through disrupting things.

I do recommend it, though.

View attachment 15689

I toured it back in 2006, I thought it was more weird than spooky. The inside tour takes about an hour, then you can wonder around the grounds and gift shop. As I recall we had about a 30 minute wait for our tour to start. I'd plan on spending at least 2.5 to 3 hours there if you visit.

Last edited:
I grew up in High Point, NC. There's something especially haunting about a boomtown that's gone bust. I read an earlier thread about the thinning veil. I think the veil thins when our physical human energy leaves a place, especially a place that was once populated and then there's a sudden almost vacuum of the energy.

Anyways, In High Point there's now a big wedding event place called McCulloch Castle. Very nice and a very expensive place to have a wedding. When I was a kid we knew how to get out to the old castle in the woods by parking on the south side of business 85 and hiking through the woods. The local Rebel Rouser MC would hang out in the area. It was VERY creepy and although I never saw anything there you couldn't deny the heavy and dark energy that was present in that old structure oddly placed out in the woods.