Hash Browns

re: Hash I make it with hashbrowns and regular beef roast leftovers. First thing I do is hide the leftover beef from the guys in the fridge....lol
Whoever makes tupperware containers with locks will make a fortune. Someone needs to invent that.

Reactions: Benway and TonyM
I didn't even think about making them, please share your recipe and anyone else who would like to share theirs too.
Simple...shred your potatoes and drain off with paper towels. Fry them up. I add onion to most of mine as the guys like them. Salt as you like. I use the course salt. Be sure to get a good brown on one side then flip them to brown the other.

I fry the eggs over easy and put on top.

Simple...shred your potatoes and drain off with paper towels. Fry them up. I add onion to most of mine as the guys like them. Salt as you like. I use the course salt. Be sure to get a good brown on one side then flip them to brown the other.

I fry the eggs over easy and put on top.

Sounds easy, I've only seen the frozen and shaped efforts.

No waffle houses here or any place open beyond 9pm but sounds intriguing.

Are there still Little Chefs in the UK? They are somewhat similar to Waffle House, and I know they stayed open relatively late. 11pm?

Reactions: Debi
Sounds easy, I've only seen the frozen and shaped efforts.
There's an easy method as well. Bake some potatoes the day before. Refrigerate over night. Chop up the next day after pealing, fry. They taste a bit different from the others but are a very tasty, easy fix.

Have you ever tried frying your leftover mashed potatoes from the fridge? Egg wash, flour, fry. I've even done them without the flour, but seems to stay formed better with the egg wash and flour. Your mashed needs to be firmed and cool to pull this off.

Reactions: Benway
I never could keep my breakfast potatoes straight. My wife makes home fries (cubes), my dad made fried potatoes (sliced), and then there are the hash browns (diced) at Waffle House. Also used to eat breakfast occasionally at a midwest/east coast chain called "Friendly's" and their breakfast potatoes looked like flattened tater tots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway and Paulm
I can eat hash browns at any time, though it is usually at breakfast time. My wife will sometimes buy frozen hash browns that are shaped and formed so they look like something you'd get from a drive through window. My kids refer to them as breakfast hash browns. When I make them myself I shred some potatoes and a small onion then add some flour and spices, my kids say these are more like dinner hash browns. They sometime question why I'm making dinner hash browns at breakfast time.

Corned beef hash is awesome, however I hardly ever make it at home anymore. Since having kids, whenever I cook a corned beef there's nothing left over for making hash in the morning.

I'll agree with Palum that Waffle House hash browns are definitely an experience within themselves. Every other restaurant in the US serves plain hash browns but Waffle House kicked it up to a new level by offering over a half dozen toppings from simple such as onions, tomatoes and mushrooms to the more adventurous items like jalapeños and Texas style brown chili. You can even order your hash browns "All the way" where they just smother them with a bit of everything, it ends up being enough food for a meal just by itself!

I didn’t know about that fabulous option SteveDog. I have to see if I can find a WH that’s closer than 25 miles away...I can’t successfully drive and salivate at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevedog
No waffle houses here or any place open beyond 9pm but sounds intriguing.
Nothing open past 9 ????...... Good grief, where do you go after the bars close???.....please don't tell me they close at 9 also.....lol.....man, I started, and ended many Friday nights in a waffle house in my younger years.....lol