Hardest Job...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

IN HONOR OF LABOR DAY WEEKEND, WHAT WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT OR HARDEST JOB YOU'VE EVER DONE?
HOW LONG DID YOU STAY AT THAT JOB?

Reactions: garnetsilver
The summer before college, my middle son decided he was going to make some big money on a friend's crew by being the guy running the jack hammer. He lasted one day. Took him a week to recuperate! He only weighed in at about 147 pounds at the time. Pretty sure he came home weighing much less.

Cutting and laying carpet at 15, I lasted 3 weeks. Washing cooking stuff at a French cake shop with giant pots, burnt on chocolate and other muck. I did it for 6 months as I was 30,a single dad and pretty broke.

Working at a factory, pressing women's garments, when I was around 22. Standing all day and operating a press gave me aches and pains, and was boring as heck. Thankfully, there was a layoff after two weeks.

Teaching music in a secondary school. Lasted one term.

I have so much respect for those teachers who can make it work and actually inspire kids. It's such a hard job, especially if it essentially requires riot control as well!

Sometimes it's my current job even though I had a tough moment or two with my first. But as it is with most companies, mine is changing. And while neither was really ever my first choice, they both pay the bills. I've been at my current job ever since I was a young, stupid kid. 17 years as of late October.

I painted a really large Church in Hammond Indiana which is right outside of Chicago. Built in 1890 and was going to be the cathedral for the Gary diocese. I think it took five or six weeks but aside from the physical stuff it was just really mentally demanding.

Two things stand out as the worst. Unbolting the pews from the floor in the morning and then at quitting time we would have to scrub the floor perfectly and then put the pews back.
It was a really poor parish and I left a lot of money on the table in exchange for Friday evening having everybody's wages paid.

Sounds like a lot of you had some pretty tough jobs as well.