Handyman question

garnetsilver

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
I have a computer desk with a pull out shelf for my keyboard. When we moved, the keyboard got jammed so that it wouldn't slide back and forth anymore, so I put some silicone spray on it. It moves fine now. Too fine! It keeps moving every time I type, and is beyond annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions that won't damage the pull out shelf? What I am looking for is a way to slow down how easily it glides back and forth.

Is your keyboard shelf on rollers or is it purely a sliding mechanism ?

If the shelf has rollers, you might try putting a bit of flour or chalk or something a little gritty on the track where the shelf rollers roll.

A thin strip of duct tape the length of the track might also work. Bottom track is easier. This will make the clearance between the wheel and track guides tighter.

Do you sit with your legs directly under the shelf ? If you do and there is not too much gap; place a pillow on top of your legs after you get the shelf where you want it.

Wow, great ideas! Thanks! The shelf is on a sliding mechanism. I will try the pillow idea first.

Reactions: Debi
Well, I am using a small travel pillow and it still it not very stable. So on to the next suggestion it will be!