Hammond, IN Red Eyed Winged Creature

Discussion in 'Cryptids and Creatures' started by Debi, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

Phantoms and Monsters: Pulse of the Paranormal

[​IMG]

On Monday August 12, 2019 I received an email and then a telephone call from Mark Hagan of the South Shore Ghostbusters. He wanted to report a sighting of a large winged humanoid in the Hammond, Indiana area, which occurred August 2018. The coordinates of the sighting was 41.656717, -87.508381:

Hagan's statement:

It was August of 2018. My wife and I were driving south on Calumet Ave. and were coming up to the red light at 131st St when we heard what sounded like leather rustling. We looked to the retention pond to our left and saw glowing red what I am going to assume were eyes and saw a large bat-like creature take to the skies. It was darked colored and easily had to be about 6 feet or more tall from what I could make out. Wingspan was close to 10 feet or more.

About a week or so later driving with my colleague in the South Shore Ghostbusters. This time we saw it atop the the Cline Ave overpass like it was eating something. We turned around only to see it take off to the skies once more.

We have been investigating the area and found this particular creature sticks close to the water. We have heard multiple accounts of seeing red glowing lights over the waters of the Lost Marsh since June or so of this year.
    Hagan told me that he is very familiar with the large fowl in the area, and that this being was definitely not one of the indigenous birds known to inhabit the areas around Lake Michigan.

The Phantoms & Monsters Fortean team plans to go to the area for further investigation. Lon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These sightings were similar to location and description from a report in July 1, 2017:

I listened to the show on Coast to Coast AM and heard about the Chicago Phantom. I believe I may have seen it near the Lost Marsh Golf Course, right off Calumet Ave. (I-41) in Whiting, Indiana. (The location is approximately 1/2 mile east of the Illinois / Indiana border).

So this possible sighting happened on Saturday, July 1, 2017 around 10:30PM CT. We were heading home from my sister's house. My wife was driving I was the passenger. The kids were sleeping in the back seat and I was just enjoying the ride home. I was looking out my window and noticed two red lights in a area where there are usually no lights. I even told my wife "hey, I just saw two red lights." I thought it was a little strange but nothing more. I had no strange feelings, but when I started to think of the two lights, they must have been over the water around 10 ft. The red lights were about a 45 degree angle and kind of close to each other.

We take that route all the time and there is no light pole or anything in that area...just water. I thought it could have been a golf cart, but why would they only be using red lights. That little piece of course has no lighting and the street also doesn't have any lighting. The BP Whiting Refinery (approximately 1 mile away) is way too far away for what I saw. Basically, two strange red lights over the watery part of a golf course. KG

[​IMG]

More pics of area at site

Paintman likes this.
  2. ozentity

ozentity
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I think most bats,apart from a couple of species,dont hang around water too much so discounts them as a possible match.

3. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

I grew up in this area, and it's very marshy up there, as you can see in some of the pics. A lot of these reports are coming from this area lately.

ozentity likes this.
  4. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

It's in the Chicago area, where many of the Mothman creatures are being reported.

Paintman and ozentity like this.
  5. ozentity

ozentity
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Mothman type creatures really interest me,I do think they are a genuine creature,but what.They seem unique if an animal,so I'm thinking more of a paranormal being.

6. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Art Bell fan
    Tier-1 Mod

What’s going on in Indiana Debi. Do you have a lot of caves? Just a thought.
    I have no idea what these things are but thoughts of evil creatures come to mind.

Paulm and Paintman like this.
  7. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

No caves, but a lot of steel mills ( a lot empty) in that area for good hiding places.

Paulm likes this.
  8. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

This area is a 4-mile swampy stretch between North Hammond and South Hammond. To the north is an old-fashioned little city with old money leafy streets. To the South is a massive amount of neighborhoods. It had its run from 1900 to about 1975.
    It made no financial sense to develop neighborhoods in the swampy stretch. Too expensive. There are 2 massive oil refineries there. Chemical companies and steel processing and manufacturing. Tons of trucking and rail. There is a lot of abandoned industry partly because of polluted ground. There really is no technology yet to clean up the area, so they let it revert back to swamp land and let nature take its course.
    It is a favorite area for birdwatchers, and gangsters burying bodies. So if a Cryptid wanted to hide it is in an ideal place.

Paulm likes this.
  9. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

Just thought of something else. This animal or Cryptid could have been accidentally imported from far away. There are two maps in the article that show the ship canals. Here is one from the Indiana side of the border.
    lostmarsh2.JPG
    For you out-of-towners, iron ore and coal are shipped in, and steel goods are shipped out. The Great Lakes are no longer landlocked with the Saint Lawrence Seaway connecting to the Atlantic Ocean.
    Not exactly on point with the article, but with the theory on how these things could have gotten here. There are a lot of invasive species in Lake Michigan. These ships take on water for ballast in god-knows-where. They have to jettison the ballast when they get into ports or use the canals.
    Just spitballing.

ozentity, Debi and Paulm like this.
  10. ElliO

ElliO
    Expand Collapse

Interesting idea, that the shipping moved them, but since Native American legends indicate that they've been part of the landscape for centuries before white men came with ships, I think they've been here for a long time, and will continue to appear from time to time.

Paintman and Debi like this.