Hair

I have had many ups and downs with my hair. It is naturally crazy thick and wavy, and dark reddish brown. When I was in eighth or ninth grade I got blonde highlights which turned green after hours in the pool. And then we would use kool aid to dye it pink and blue and purple. Then I decided I wanted to dye it maroon at about 16. It looked nice, but the more I dyed it to keep the color going the more I started to look like I was trying to be Ariel from the little mermaid. It wasn't the best look, and I have 2 years of school photos to haunt me. I then tried to strip the color with bleach and ended up with ORANGE hair for about two months. I then decided I was dyeing it black. Which I loved but the maintenance was awful, so I eventually let it grow out natural. Now I can't even imagine dyeing it at all. I have also been cutting my own hair since I was about 15. There have been some minor mishaps but I prefer it. It saves money and for some reason I have never liked a haircut I've gotten at a salon.

I have had many ups and downs with my hair. It is naturally crazy thick and wavy, and dark reddish brown. When I was in eighth or ninth grade I got blonde highlights which turned green after hours in the pool. And then we would use kool aid to dye it pink and blue and purple. Then I decided I wanted to dye it maroon at about 16. It looked nice, but the more I dyed it to keep the color going the more I started to look like I was trying to be Ariel from the little mermaid. It wasn't the best look, and I have 2 years of school photos to haunt me. I then tried to strip the color with bleach and ended up with ORANGE hair for about two months. I then decided I was dyeing it black. Which I loved but the maintenance was awful, so I eventually let it grow out natural. Now I can't even imagine dyeing it at all. I have also been cutting my own hair since I was about 15. There have been some minor mishaps but I prefer it. It saves money and for some reason I have never liked a haircut I've gotten at a salon.
Tell me your trick for cutting the bottom and back. There must be one! The bangs I have down pat. The straight cut...not so much. lol

Oh, and I did orange for a week....totally by big error in dye selection!

Tell me your trick for cutting the bottom and back. There must be one! The bangs I have down pat. The straight cut...not so much. lol

Oh, and I did orange for a week....totally by big error in dye selection!
So the way I cut the back is I have a small mirror set up behind me and then the bathroom mirror in front of me. I then have to stand a certain way so that I can see directly behind me in the mirror. Then I put my hair in a lose ponytail and adjust it to the length I want and then cut above the hairband. To cut the bottom I hold the scissors vertical to my hair and just snip up, but be careful with this step because if you snip too much it will look uneven a choppy. It has to be small light snips. I also do this when I just want to trim it a little and get rid of any split ends. I do it that way because I like it to look more feathered or layered as apposed just a straight blunt cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman
I've got blonde hair with a tinge of ginger.Up until my forties I had straight hair almost down to my waist.It started receding so I now have a shaved head with a plat, long blonde,ginger beard,trying to look like a Viking but don't look that hard lol.

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I shaved the sides of my head keeping the top long in the 90's before that i always had long hair when i moved to alabama i wound up cutting it because it started getting all straggly snd i didnt want to look like that guy who is vein with a messed yo hairday for the rest of my life. Now im that guy that says to other long haired ppl. "I had long hair all my life." no i dont say that its to typical i always looked at ppl like that as weird.

Reactions: Paintman
WandS, Duke......priceless.:p
It's interesting how are haircuts can also tell the stories of our lives.:)
Lately I've been very happy that I found a girl barber that gives me a haircut and I don't have a cowlick. I've spent several decades looking like Dennis the Menace.
1136147.jpg And I wear white bib overalls and a doo-rag at work.;)
The concession to age is not getting as blond as I used to.:( That and my beard grows in grey. Needless to say I am always clean shaven. Not because I'm vain, but because I may have to wear a respirator and need a nice tight fit.:rolleyes: