Had an experience with what i think was a Gnome

Got a reply from a Folklorist in the city i live in. He was into the study of folklore, witchcraft, magic and demonology.
I asked him if he was the right person to talk about gnomes, elves and those things. He replied that he is not the right person to talk about these things. I don't understand, since i though he would be the perfect guy for this.

I have tried other universities, but no reply.

I think, that in this modern world, universities don't want to touch subjects like this. Maybe i can find a professor abroad, that would be willing to touch the subject, and who would like to come up with an opinion about what i caught on camera. I will try to find someone in an university abroad, that would try to give an answer. It's just not easy.

But i can post a video here below, about that Red Orb i was talking about. I have included zoomed-in still-images from that video as well, for those who would like to see it more up-close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman
Got a reply from a Folklorist in the city i live in. He was into the study of folklore, witchcraft, magic and demonology.
I asked him if he was the right person to talk about gnomes, elves and those things. He replied that he is not the right person to talk about these things. I don't understand, since i though he would be the perfect guy for this.

I have tried other universities, but no reply.

I think, that in this modern world, universities don't want to touch subjects like this. Maybe i can find a professor abroad, that would be willing to touch the subject, and who would like to come up with an opinion about what i caught on camera. I will try to find someone in an university abroad, that would try to give an answer. It's just not easy.

But i can post a video here below, about that Red Orb i was talking about. I have included zoomed-in still-images from that video as well, for those who would like to see it more up-close.

That's disappointing. Did you ask him who he'd recommend you talk to?

I wouldn't give up, you may just need to go further afield. Have you tried your local historical society? They often have a member or group who are into folklore. There is also the Norway Folklore Museum (Norsk Folkemuseum) , your national Culture Ministry, and the University of Oslo.

One piece of advise, if I may. When contacting these people, explain you want to talk about the folklore of gnomes. During that conversation, ask what the lore is about gnomes vocalizing. At that point bring up your recording, describe what you captured, and ask if they'd be willing to listen to it to give you an opinion on whether the sound you caught fits within gnome lore. Don't ask them, "Is this a gnome?"

Frankly, when dealing with some people, especially academics, how you approach/phrase questions is as important as the questions themselves.

He is a Professor at the University of Oslo. I really thought he was the right guy to talk to. I must admit that i got confused a bit, when he replied that he was not the right guy to talk to about these things. He recommended me to contact "Norsk Folkeminnesamling". I have already contacted them, and i'm waiting for a reply.

I don't have any high hopes. If "Norsk Folkeminnesamling" can't help in any way, then i might just stop trying. I do feel like academia won't take these things seriously. I'm starting to wonder if they are not really allowed to deal with these subjects.

One piece of advise, if I may. When contacting these people, explain you want to talk about the folklore of gnomes. During that conversation, ask what the lore is about gnomes vocalizing. At that point bring up your recording, describe what you captured, and ask if they'd be willing to listen to it to give you an opinion on whether the sound you caught fits within gnome lore. Don't ask them, "Is this a gnome?"

Frankly, when dealing with some people, especially academics, how you approach/phrase questions is as important as the questions themselves.
I'll keep that in mind. I always try to be careful at first, not to scare them away.

You might do better trying to find someone into the paranormal that has a special interest in fae, I can't see many academics admitting they believe in them.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your video and updating us on your research. It may be that this will go unexplained, there are many mysteries in the same category. Sometimes it's enough to know that you know.

I wouldn't give up, you may just need to go further afield. Have you tried your local historical society? They often have a member or group who are into folklore. There is also the Norway Folklore Museum (Norsk Folkemuseum) , your national Culture Ministry, and the University of Oslo.

So well said,Duke

I saw a gnome on the side of a road in the Australian bush when I was about 17. It was a small human like creature with wrinkled skin like a miniature old man. One of my first stories when I joined here . Welcome to the forum paralife. I thought I'd imagined it and never told anyone until a friends daughter saw it a couple of years later in the area. I don't know what it was but it didn't look friendly.
That sounds like an interesting story. Do you remember anything else about the environmental conditions during the encounter? The lighting? The time of day? Noises or smells? How you reacted? How it reacted? Its facial features and/or clothing? That sort of thing.

Also, did it look Koorie or European?

That sounds like an interesting story. Do you remember anything else about the environmental conditions during the encounter? The lighting? The time of day? Noises or smells? How you reacted? How it reacted? Its facial features and/or clothing? That sort of thing.

Also, did it look Koorie or European?
It was the middle of Winter in the Central Tablelands NSW, very cold and at night. I saw it in my high beam of the car. I slowed down to a crawl and stopped past it a bit. I grabbed the torch to go back but then thought twice and took off. It looked like a miniature version of the local white people that live around the area, like a wrinkled old man, no clothing and a mean face. I still have no idea what it was but it was feeding on a roadkill so I believe it was a flesh and blood being.

It was the middle of Winter in the Central Tablelands NSW, very cold and at night. I saw it in my high beam of the car. I slowed down to a crawl and stopped past it a bit. I grabbed the torch to go back but then thought twice and took off. It looked like a miniature version of the local white people that live around the area, like a wrinkled old man, no clothing and a mean face. I still have no idea what it was but it was feeding on a roadkill so I believe it was a flesh and blood being.
Wow that had to be a strange and scary sighting.