Hacking the Weather

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Plans to 'hack Earth's weather' could start World War 3, panicked scientists warn

CLIMATE change may end up causing World War 3 if individual countries start to try and save themselves by hacking the weather with a process called geoengineering.

Many experts are in favour of geoengineering, which involves manipulating the atmosphere by blocking sunlight or isolating excess carbon, but weather hacking in one region could have negative impacts in another and lead to global conflict, according to scientists.

It is solar geoengineering that appears to be the most problematic and not so much carbon capture because solar geoengineering would involve spraying chemicals into the air that would block some sunlight.

When speaking on the sun blocking topic, geoengineering researcher Juan Moreno-Cruz told Business Insider: "The threat of war never is out of the question."

If geoengineering is going to happen then all countries would have to be informed and agree because some areas may be more negatively effected than others.

Andrea Flossmann, a scientist at the World Meteorological Organization, explained in a WMO report: "The atmosphere has no walls. What you add may not have the desired effect in your vicinity, but by being transported along might have undesired effects elsewhere.”

Full story at site.

Reactions: Donna K.
OK, so if everybody starts messing with the weather, we have a butterfly effect and nobody gets what they want. I know China is already playing with this and claims some success, so I have to ask...is that playing with our weather here? Your thoughts, please.

I believe it has been going on since the 1950's anway and is not so much of a new thing. What may be new is the scale at which it could be happening.
A quick google comes up with several domestic American companies that offer cloud seeding services. - Clients & Projects | Weather Modification, Inc.

Have to laugh at the name "Weather Modification Inc" - sounds like the commercial side of Gru enterprises.
images

The no1( mimicking volcanos) is strange,who said volcanos were great for the planet?Im going to have to side with scientists and say it will cause more trouble than its worth.
involve spraying chemicals into the air
Great.

China seems to have a history of sending balloons into the upper atmosphere. I thought it was just Japan, but the article mentions a research station n China, as well as a launching area in Fukushima - Japan.
While primitive in the 1940's the principle would still work - Fu-Go balloon bomb - Wikipedia

Can't say I would trust them 100%

This is a scary topic. As usual man will find something to go to war about, or use for a weapon. We live in interesting and fearful times.

Reactions: ozentity