Hackers Eye US Power Grid

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
OK, my techie friends. Just how serious is this?

Detailed information is lacking and the Daily Mail is guilty of over hyping stories. Having said that hackers did get in but only to the outer less important systems, trying the door handle as was mentioned. Even at this outer level they left evidence which says to me amateurs. Anybody can be a hacker like anybody can be a burglar but only the best get in and out before anybody has noticed.

These attempts at penetration are relentless right across the board and I hope those responsible for security are doing their job correctly. Why any system that requires the levels of security a power station requires has public facing interfaces is beyond me.

Reactions: Debi
Detailed information is lacking and the Daily Mail is guilty of over hyping stories. Having said that hackers did get in but only to the outer less important systems, trying the door handle as was mentioned. Even at this outer level they left evidence which says to me amateurs. Anybody can be a hacker like anybody can be a burglar but only the best get in and out before anybody has noticed.

These attempts at penetration are relentless right across the board and I hope those responsible for security are doing their job correctly. Why any system that requires the levels of security a power station requires has public facing interfaces is beyond me.
The story actually first came out on Wire. This was just an easy way for me to grab the headline. :)

Reactions: TonyM
The story actually first came out on Wire. This was just an easy way for me to grab the headline. :)

It's interesting, what I do these days is very close to developing the software used in power stations. I just hope they know what they're doing.

Thanks Tony. I feel a bit better after your take on it. It’s still a scary scenario.