Guns, knives, pens, flashlights, etc.

Not bad for $75

I collect and make knives. I am a gunsmith and honestly don't know how many guns are in my house. In Texas nearly anything is legal so I collect and carry a wide variety of weapons and tools. My normal pocket carry is a leatherman, a spring-assisted karambit, two small flashlights, a lighter and a small pocket screwdriver set. I don't always carry a gun but there is a gun in all of my cars and my boat. Also in each vehicle is a heavy walking stick and in my truck, there is a sword. I carry a Ruger LC9pro for if I concealed carry.

I am sort of a boy scout in that I am always prepared. My vehicles each have a get home bag that would allow me to walk overland for several days if I had to. I guess I'm a prepper but I was doing this long before there was such a thing. My Dad called it being self-sufficient. He taught me how to feed my family under any condition and made sure that I knew how to protect me and mine. With that start, I built upon it and can not only survive but thrive without much or any of the modern conveniences. I am as comfortable in the woods as my wolf spirit. Drop me anywhere in North America and I can clothe, feed and shelter myself fairly easily.

I think that a lot of preppers are often misunderstood. I prepare for all sorts of things. I've lived in the Hurricane zone all of my life and been through the eye three times. When a hurricane heads our way I don't have to get prepared. I stay prepared. I live in a rural place and when a storm blows through we might be without power for a week or two. After Rita, some here were without power for 6 weeks. Prepping is like any other insurance. I have life insurance, car insurance, insurance on my home, etc. I hope I don't die suddenly or have a wreck or my home burn down BUT I have insurance so my family is taken care of. Being prepared is just another form of insurance that I may not need but feel that it is my job to make sure that I can care for and protect my loved ones.

My gun and knife collection is a pleasure to me. It is no different from my collection of cups and saucers from occupied Japan. Despite being regularly armed I am a peaceful soul. I stop and help people on the road. I am friendly and have no real enemies. I am a big believer though in the "Walk softly and carry a big stick." Philosophy.

I'm working on my knife collection I have a bag that I was given for Christmas but I haven't used it yet because it's for camping

Reactions: T-Bob
After fire, knives were man's earliest and greatest inventions. Since man got very little in the ways of fangs and claws the knife was a must in his growth from prey to predator. With no knife skinning an animal to eat is tough, to say the least, and actually killing prey is a chore. A sharp edge gives man his fangs and claws. Just as there seems to be an almost instinctive attraction to fire I think that the knife has been a part of our personal tool kits so long that it is an almost instinctive thing to seek them out. When I was a boy getting your first knife was a huge step and a sign that you were growing up. I feel naked without a knife. I have carried one every day of my life since I was 8 or 9 years old. I started collecting them both large and small while I was a kid.

Eventually, I wanted to make my own and started doing that when I was about 20. I have a small forge and make some that way and some from tool steel blanks, circular saw blades, files and truck springs. When I make a knife I put a little of myself into them. There has always been a lot of superstition about certain blades. When you force your will onto a piece of steel and shape it with fire and pounding you make a connection to it that may well be somewhat mystical. As you handle steel it changes. The more time you spend on it the more it is changed. There is a condition call work hardening where a knife, ax, sword or tool actually becomes stronger as it is used.

I have the knives of 4 generations of men. They offer me a connection to them. My knives will go on when I am gone and carry a small piece of me to those in the future that appreciate the value of a well-made tool. Maybe some will be like me and be able to feel that little bit of soul that I placed into the steel...

Reactions: 7Critter
I need to finish oiling today I oiled my fixed blade and a couple folders still have a couple more to do

Reactions: 7Critter
So I looked up my great grandps knife that I got from my grandfather and it's between the 40s and 60s so 60 to 80 years old production wise

My 1971 Bulova Accutron tuning fork movement watch in 14K gold filled case:
a2.jpg

Reactions: SyStEm0v3r1dE