Growing your own..

My grandmother used to have a garden and had things like grapes, tomatoes and maybe even okra. She also used to jar jams and jellies at least with pickles if memory serves. Our climate here is.....insane so if I opted for a garden, they'd have to survive both the hot and cold weather. But I'd grow just about anything that was required for whatever I'm looking to cook. Tomatoes, onions, and peppers to name a few.

we used to have a big garden every year. havent in the past couple years except for maybe a few tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and salad basics. we have a very long growing season here so can usually have a good garden. up until a few years ago we also had an apple tree and two plum trees that produced a lot of fruit. i sometimes miss haveing a big garden but it is a lot of work to maintain and then can or preserve the harvest. Debi has a good idea to buy the produce from other farms and then prepare accordingly.

I don't know about overseas but our shop bought tomatoes taste like nothing. I think everyone should grow some even if in pots on your balcony.

I don't know about overseas but our shop bought tomatoes taste like nothing. I think everyone should grow some even if in pots on your balcony.
I'm lucky that I know people who do grow major amounts of them! Towards the end of the season they are giving them away just so they don't rot.

My son tried to grow them this year and they were raided by a neighbor's roving attack chickens and their buddy the guard duck. This summer it's higher fencing or I fear we'll be having neighbor's chickens and duck for dinner. (If I had not stopped my son we would have had that dinner this year! lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and ozentity
I finally got a garden growing last spring (2021). My friend is retired and an avid gardener. She gave me some squash, melons and tomatos she had started in small pots. I have had an onion garden for years but never had the yard in shape to have anything else. The plants all did well until the squash bugs showed up so I didn't get any squash, but I got a lot of tomatos and melons. I had planted carrots, lettuce and beets but the new puppy messed that garden up. I did get a few beets and some lettuce. I put the extra tomatoes in the freezer. I have lots of containers I can use to make sauce with. I tried freezing the melon but it is not good that way unless you use it for smoothies or making cake. I have made a couple of cakes with melon and I make smoothies sometimes.

When I was growing up we always had a garden and when we lived in town we shared the excess corn that my dad grew with the neighbors. One had excess cucumbers and shared with us, other had chile and tomatos. It was fun trading fresh vegetables.

Reactions: Lynne