Growing your own..

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF GROCERIES, ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT CANNING THIS YEAR?
HOW ABOUT GROWING SOME OF YOUR OWN FOOD?
HAVE YOU EVER CANNED OR DONE A GARDEN?
DID YOU GROW UP EATING HOME CANNED GOODS?
271773075_4821761771235788_226244162188575521_n.jpg

When we lived in FL, we had a garden, but the bugs were fierce, as well as the ground was too hot to grow many things. Mr. Garnet makes pickles, but that is about it. I have grown and dried some herbs for cooking, but would like to do more. I especially want to can stuff.

I mainly eat what's in season from the garden and freeze things like tomatoes and lots of other veg for later on in cooking.
Is it summer for you now ?

Is it summer for you now ?
Yes, I've got a decent garden going but have only been here a few months, just starting to freeze some tomatoes, corn and a few other veg. The people left a run down strawberry patch and with a little care have been picking about two pound a day. It's good with the covid lack of produce atm.

I used to can a lot! I had a pantry with shelves lined with home grown and loved having it. Now, can no longer do it but for those of you who can, I highly recommend it! Biggest problem now is finding canning jars...and lids, or so I'm told. We had a garden, but we also bought by the bushel from local farms around us and then canned that. If you can't grow your own, try that.

Know what I miss the most? The canned corn, beans, and those darn sweet pickles! The little ones... they were sooo good!

I love sweet pickles, too. Mr. Garnet knows how to make the dill kind. I don't know if I could can things on a large scale as it's a lot of work. I have lots of old cookbooks that tell you how to do it, if I ever get ambitious and have the energy.

I love sweet pickles, too. Mr. Garnet knows how to make the dill kind. I don't know if I could can things on a large scale as it's a lot of work. I have lots of old cookbooks that tell you how to do it, if I ever get ambitious and have the energy.
It is major work. I no longer have that kind of energy in me but boy that stuff was delish!