Grow your own....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
OK! Now that I have your attention! lol The question is actually this: Will you grow some of your own food this year?

The seed catalogs are now arriving en mass in my mailbox, and I'm considering a small garden again this year. Last year I skipped it, but I did miss it. I have found growing my own vegs can be fun, but there's a lot of work that goes with it. I love getting my hands in the dirt, sending the seeds energy, and watching them grow, but it requires a lot of time and maintenance to bring in a good crop.

I always plan big, and have in the past had a half acre in plants. Last year it was 6 tomato plants! lol So, what do you think? Is it worth it to grow your own? Or will you opt for the Farmer's Market this year?

Reactions: Mokey
I'll opt for the mom and dad market. Despite having issues with deer getting at his crop, my dad turned out a pretty good haul last year. They aren't there full time and it still did good. He loves to work outside and it's good for him. My favorite part is eating carrots right out of the garden. I used to raid my grandma's garden and eat all the peas out of the pod. Yummy.

Reactions: Debi
Now that Gabe is living with us, he loves to do gardening, so I'm considering a small one that he can maintain for me. Nothing major....some tomatoes, green beans, maybe another veg or two. Something he can handle and one I can just supervise after planting. Would be nice to can again this year. Last year that just didn't happen and I miss the homegrown stuff during the winter months.

Reactions: Mokey
I just tore out my old garden to build a small greenhouse for next winter. I love growing my own. It is hard work but worth it. I would still have summer crops growing if i had the greenhouse. This year, i build out 45 feet on the fence line with vertical strawberries. Once I have that built, I will extend out 30 Ft from the fence with a greenhouse covering. Just with that ,i would not have to buy veggies at the market. The taste is amazing and i do not have to worry about plants coming from another country. No pesticides, no fertilizer except for my worm tea.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I just tore out my old garden to build a small greenhouse for next winter. I love growing my own. It is hard work but worth it. I would still have summer crops growing if i had the greenhouse. This year, i build out 45 feet on the fence line with vertical strawberries. Once I have that built, I will extend out 30 Ft from the fence with a greenhouse covering. Just with that ,i would not have to buy veggies at the market. The taste is amazing and i do not have to worry about plants coming from another country. No pesticides, no fertilizer except for my worm tea.
Worm Tea is AMAZING! I use it as well.

Reactions: sal
Now that Gabe is living with us, he loves to do gardening, so I'm considering a small one that he can maintain for me. Nothing major....some tomatoes, green beans, maybe another veg or two. Something he can handle and one I can just supervise after planting. Would be nice to can again this year. Last year that just didn't happen and I miss the homegrown stuff during the winter months.
It sounds like a good project for a teenager. I just hope that he doesn't get discouraged in the early growing stages with little progress. Just remind him that time is his best friend. Me ? I get my vegies from the supermarket, sometimes from a farmer's market.

You could also have a thread entitled "Roll your own" in which you have recipes and techniques for rolling dough and baking bread and pizza, :)
LOL! That's the way to draw attention around here! :D

Reactions: JoMama
Now I have to go get some carrots peas and radishes. My stock has run out.

Reactions: Debi