Great pyramid - the 3 blocking stones

Rowan2222

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Nice and simple one to start with:

How did the 3 granite blocking stones in the great pyramid get there, and when?

These are the ones that were tunnelled past when one was discovered in the roof of the descending passageway.

Reactions: Benway

These are the ones that were tunnelled past when one was discovered in the roof of the descending passageway.
Rowan, you must have an idea on these. What do you think on them?

Well if they were dropped in from the inside - that would mean ropes - so would need holes or loops to attach them, and the ropes of the first one down would probably get in the way of the next two....Plus you would need people inside to let go or at least some form of timer mechanism. - Pretty tricky. - And I don't think they have rope holes or loops on them. Could be wrong, just don't know that much about it.
- Yet archaeologists don't mention that. Just gloss over it like it just happened and don't question it.

If you were going to bury a guy in there - wouldn't it be simpler to build the thing with a large shaft you could just drop him in and close the door?

I remember there being some damage to the top of the upper one. This is also forgotten about. Who would be on the inside trying to get out? If no bodies have ever been found inside; How did that happen then?

Reactions: Benway and Debi
Quite a lot hinges on WHEN they were positioned there.
If they were dropped into place when Khufu died and was placed inside - why did they leave the door of the thing open to access the descending passageway as Plato described it as being hidden yet hinged & perfectly balanced.
Why also is every other pyramid just based on this single feature of a descending passageway and not more complicated inside as the Great pyramid is? - Unless they were all built AFTER the great pyramid? - and that was the only feature visible?

The "escape tunnel" from the side of the vaulted ascending ramp virtually straight down to the descending passageway is a feat of navigation through rock if it was indeed dug from the inside out. But if it was dug FROM the lower passageway straight up it would be easier. To me this is a robbers tunnel dug during the time of modern Egypt. Once inside I expect they found the main granite plugs as the original door and tried to break through them - but being granite had a hard time of that and gave up...... This being the "modern Egypt" that had tools to cut the granite so precisely to make the great pyramid so they say, yet couldn't get through 1/10th of a block of granite.

So the damaged tops of the 3 plugs show that what was inside was too large to remove via the robbers tunnel - so they saught a larger exit.
Giving up on this they probably broke whatever it was into pieces to remove it.....like the story of Osiris - who was broken into pieces and reassembled later by Isis maybe?

This is all very complicated. I think I need diagrams to understand it.

A brief scanning of relevant information seems to indicate that Egyptologists starting with the famous Flinders Petrie haven't considered this matter to be any greatly important mystery.

BBC (BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: Building the Great Pyramid):

"It is clear from the fact that the plugs in this 'ascending corridor' are an inch wider than the entrance that the plugs must have been lowered into position not from the outside, as was usually the case, but from a storage position within the pyramid itself (perhaps in the Grand Gallery). It is also clear that the design had to allow the workmen who pushed the plugs into position to be able to escape down a shaft leading from the Grand Gallery to the 'descending corridor', through which they could exit."

Flinders Petrie (pg. 21 at http://www.gizapyramids.org/pdf_library/petrie_gizeh.pdf):

"The granite plugs are kept back from slipping down by the narrowing of the lower end of the passage, to which contraction they fit. Thus at the lower, or N. end, the plug is but 38'2 wide in place of 4r6 at the upper end: the height, however, is unaltered, being at lower end 4730 E., 47*15 mid, 47'26 W. ; and at upper, or S. end, 473. In the trial passages the breadth is contracted from 41 6 to 38-0 and 37- 5 like this, but the height is also contracted there from 47'3 to 42- 3. These plug-blocks are cut out of boulder stones of red granite, and have not the faces cut sufficiently to remove the rounded outer surfaces at the corners : also the faces next each other are never very flat, being wavy about ±"3. These particulars I was able to see, by putting my head in between the rounded edges of the 2nd and 3rd blocks from the top, which are not in contact; the 2nd having jammed tight 4 inches above the 3rd. The present top one is not the original end ; it is roughly broken, and there is a bit of granite still
cemented to the floor some way farther South of it. From appearances there I estimated that originally the plug was 24 inches beyond its present end.

Several of the roof-blocks are girdle-blocks, being all in one piece with the walls, either wholly round the passage, or partially so. These vertical girdle-blocks are a most curious feature of this passage (first observed and measured by Mr. Waynman Dixon), and occur at intervals of 10 cubits (2063 to 2o8- o. inches) in the passage, measuring along the slope. All the stones that can be examined round the plugs are partial girdle-blocks, evidently to prevent the plugs forcing the masonry apart, by being wedged into the contracted passage."

Last edited:
A brief scanning of relevant information seems to indicate that Egyptologists starting with the famous Flinders Petrie haven't considered this matter to be any greatly important mystery.

I think the importance - and method used has been overlooked and simple answers assumed.

For example. If the 3 blocks were designed so perfectly to fit by wedge fit, it would be be difficult to try this out during the construction - without getting them stuck in the first place. So they were designed and set in the open position for some time before being slid into place.
Second, the angle of the slope is such that it would not require people to move them at all - just gravity. All that is required is the release mechanism and somewhere to store them out of the way prior to being released.
Virtually everyone so far has said that they would reside in the ascending passageway, and the workmen would have to clamber over them all the time, but nobody yet as far as I know has investigated that they may have sat inside each of the 3 girdle stones along that shaft, and that the girdle stones are themselves containing 2 voids and able to be raised.
Think of it as a figure 8, the lower hole is empty and initially lined up with the passageway. The upper portion is within the structure out of the way, but contains a blocking stone. In the upper position this girdle stone provides a free passage, but when triggered it will descend, and at the lower point the blocking stone would line up with the passageway and be released to slide down into position to block the passage.

My main question is when it was released and blocked. Did the Pyramid function until it was blocked, or was it blocked and continued to function, until that robbing tunnel was dug. I suggest it was intended to function after it was sealed, and the upper portion was intended to be airtight.

So if nobody had to be inside when it was sealed - there would not need to be a bypass route at all. Just making one would end up being common knowledge to the builders, and it didn't have any such security on it.

I realised something else about how it was sealed. It's to do with the insect frass found in the area above the kings chamber. Lots of insects - but the archaeologists don't know why?
They also found a type of salt known as natron. When heated this looses it's water of crystallisation and then becomes an effective desiccant.
I believe they did something very clever here and that is to fill the chambers above the kings chamber with corn meal containing insect larvae, and in other areas of the structure place the desiccant. Then seal it.
This way- first the oxygen would be used up by the insects first hatching, breeding and living in that area - until they all died off from lack of oxygen, then the desiccant would remove and hold the moisture leaving it an area free of moisture and oxygen. - An ideal place for preservation.

Today we still use desiccants and oxygen absorbers in food preservation and equipment cases that are sealed.

Reactions: Benway