Gratitude as medicine

Scientists Show How Gratitude Literally Alters The Human Heart & Molecular Structure Of The Brain

Consciousness
Scientists Show How Gratitude Literally Alters The Human Heart & Molecular Structure Of The Brain

In Brief
  • The Facts:
    Scientists have discovered that feelings of gratitude can actually change your brain. Feeling gratitude can also be a great tool for overcoming depression and anxiety. Furthermore, scientists have discovered that the heart sends signals to the brain.

• Reflect On:
    Every time we struggle with depression, why are we constantly encouraged to take prescription medication when mindfulness techniques actually show more promise?
Gratitude is a funny thing. In some parts of the world, somebody who gets a clean drink of water, some food, or a worn out pair of shoes can be extremely grateful. Meanwhile, somebody else who has all the necessities they need to live can be found complaining about something. What we have today is what we once wanted before, but there is a lingering belief out there that obtaining material possessions is the key to happiness. Sure, this may be true, but that happiness is temporary. The truth is that happiness is an inside job.

It’s a matter of perspective, and in a world where we are constantly made to feel like we are lacking and always ‘wanting’ more, it can be difficult to achieve or experience actual happiness. Many of us are always looking toward external factors to experience joy and happiness, when really it’s all related to internal work. This is something science is just starting to grasp as well, as shown by research coming out of UCLA’s Mindfulness Awareness Research Center. According to them:

Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.

There are many studies showing that people who count their blessings tend to be far happier and experience less depression. For one study, researchers recruited people with mental health difficulties, including people suffering from anxiety and depression. The study involved nearly 300 adults who were randomly divided into three groups. This study came from the University of California, Berkeley.

All groups received counselling services, but the first group was also instructed to write one letter of gratitude to another person every week for three weeks, whereas the second group was asked to write about their deepest thoughts and feelings about negative experiences. The third group did not do any writing activity.

What did they find? Compared to the participants who wrote about negative experiences or only received counselling, those who wrote gratitude letters reported significantly better mental health for up to 12 weeks after the writing exercise ended.

This suggests that gratitude writing can be beneficial not just for healthy, well-adjusted individuals, but also for those who struggle with mental health concerns. In fact, it seems, practicing gratitude on top of receiving psychological counseling carries greater benefits than counseling alone, even when that gratitude practice is brief. (source)

Previously, a study on gratitude conducted by Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis and his colleague Mike McCullough at the University of Miami randomly assigned participants to be given one of three tasks. Each week, participants kept a short journal. One group described five things they were grateful for that had occurred in the past week, another group recorded daily troubles from the previous week that displeased them, and the neutral group was asked to list five events or circumstances that affected them, but they were not told whether to focus on the positive or the negative. Ten weeks later, participants in the gratitude group felt better about their lives as a whole and were a full 25 percent happier than the troubled group. They reported fewer health complaints and exercised an average of 1.5 hours more. (source)

Researchers from Berkeley identified how gratitude might actually work on our minds and bodies. They provided four insights from their research suggesting what causes the psychological benefits of gratitude.

• Gratitude unshackles us from toxic emotions
  • Gratitude helps even if you don’t share it
  • Gratitude’s benefits take time & practice. You might not feel it right away.
  • Gratitude has lasting effects on the brain
The brain part is very interesting. The researchers at Berkeley used an fMRI scanner to measure brain activity while people from each group did a “pay it forward” task. During the task, the participants were given money by a “nice person.” This person’s only request was that they pass on the money to someone if they felt grateful.

They did this because they wanted to distinguish between actions motivated by gratitude and actions driven by other motivations like obligation, guilt, or what other people think. This is important because you can’t fake gratitude, you actually have to feel it. If you don’t feel grateful or practice trying to feel grateful by taking the necessary steps like keeping a gratitude journal, you may not experience as much joy and happiness.

Full story at site

This is so true, Debi, and I think sometimes it's nice to have a reminder. :)

Consciousness

In Brief
  • The Facts:
    Scientists have discovered that feelings of gratitude can actually change your brain. Feeling gratitude can also be a great tool for overcoming depression and anxiety. Furthermore, scientists have discovered that the heart sends signals to the brain.

• Reflect On:
    Every time we struggle with depression, why are we constantly encouraged to take prescription medication when mindfulness techniques actually show more promise?
Gratitude is a funny thing. In some parts of the world, somebody who gets a clean drink of water, some food, or a worn out pair of shoes can be extremely grateful. Meanwhile, somebody else who has all the necessities they need to live can be found complaining about something. What we have today is what we once wanted before, but there is a lingering belief out there that obtaining material possessions is the key to happiness. Sure, this may be true, but that happiness is temporary. The truth is that happiness is an inside job.

It’s a matter of perspective, and in a world where we are constantly made to feel like we are lacking and always ‘wanting’ more, it can be difficult to achieve or experience actual happiness. Many of us are always looking toward external factors to experience joy and happiness, when really it’s all related to internal work. This is something science is just starting to grasp as well, as shown by research coming out of UCLA’s Mindfulness Awareness Research Center. According to them:

Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.

There are many studies showing that people who count their blessings tend to be far happier and experience less depression. For one study, researchers recruited people with mental health difficulties, including people suffering from anxiety and depression. The study involved nearly 300 adults who were randomly divided into three groups. This study came from the University of California, Berkeley.

All groups received counselling services, but the first group was also instructed to write one letter of gratitude to another person every week for three weeks, whereas the second group was asked to write about their deepest thoughts and feelings about negative experiences. The third group did not do any writing activity.

What did they find? Compared to the participants who wrote about negative experiences or only received counselling, those who wrote gratitude letters reported significantly better mental health for up to 12 weeks after the writing exercise ended.

This suggests that gratitude writing can be beneficial not just for healthy, well-adjusted individuals, but also for those who struggle with mental health concerns. In fact, it seems, practicing gratitude on top of receiving psychological counseling carries greater benefits than counseling alone, even when that gratitude practice is brief. (source)

Previously, a study on gratitude conducted by Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis and his colleague Mike McCullough at the University of Miami randomly assigned participants to be given one of three tasks. Each week, participants kept a short journal. One group described five things they were grateful for that had occurred in the past week, another group recorded daily troubles from the previous week that displeased them, and the neutral group was asked to list five events or circumstances that affected them, but they were not told whether to focus on the positive or the negative. Ten weeks later, participants in the gratitude group felt better about their lives as a whole and were a full 25 percent happier than the troubled group. They reported fewer health complaints and exercised an average of 1.5 hours more. (source)

Researchers from Berkeley identified how gratitude might actually work on our minds and bodies. They provided four insights from their research suggesting what causes the psychological benefits of gratitude.

• Gratitude unshackles us from toxic emotions
  • Gratitude helps even if you don’t share it
  • Gratitude’s benefits take time & practice. You might not feel it right away.
  • Gratitude has lasting effects on the brain
The brain part is very interesting. The researchers at Berkeley used an fMRI scanner to measure brain activity while people from each group did a “pay it forward” task. During the task, the participants were given money by a “nice person.” This person’s only request was that they pass on the money to someone if they felt grateful.

They did this because they wanted to distinguish between actions motivated by gratitude and actions driven by other motivations like obligation, guilt, or what other people think. This is important because you can’t fake gratitude, you actually have to feel it. If you don’t feel grateful or practice trying to feel grateful by taking the necessary steps like keeping a gratitude journal, you may not experience as much joy and happiness.

Full story at site

Prayer & meditation can shift the focus. Making a gratitude practice, even a photo of a cup to drink, or a photo plant near the door daily changes you. Simply think to yourself: hey I am grateful for that /leaf/fern/flower/walk/porch/or-mug/cocoa/ tea/coffee & take a photo of it. Look at it for a moment, maybe edit the photo.

Maybe gratitude journal each week. Mindfulness /make a habit to pause, stop, and note a beautiful thing you can see or hold in the morning (or whenever you wake. "Mindfulness" & gratitude for simple
available things,
in my opinion can flip the focus from suffering & panic over time. Mindfulness & gratitude can temporarily displace the panic from suffering or change the focus somehow, so life just is, for a moment, instead.

I think thats why they suggest you do mindfulness/ gratitude again & again, results won't last if you do it once. It might not work overnight. You might have to try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Great article. Wands you and I are similar in this. As I’ve gotten further along in my spiritual walk, I’ve learned to practice showing love and gratefulness. I try to be conscious of my blessings and let others know they are appreciated. Wands has also given me another step in this walk and it is not lying. It is often easier to make excuses or fib over little things. I have set the intention to break this habit and always be honest. I have found some creative ways to do this lol.
I missed this post Lynne from October and it’s too wonderful not to acknowledge.

I’ll share too quickly that I had one occasion in past few weeks where someone actually said that they believed I was faking my positive expression. This was just after they attempted purposely to bring my own happy high down and then they also tried to diss me when their first try failed. Their expression of near horror was priceless when I responded again with a sincere “Thank you”. I thought they were literally going to have to change their shorts when their two verbal attacks both slid off me like I was covered in Pam cooking spray.

I missed this post Lynne from October and it’s too wonderful not to acknowledge.

I’ll share too quickly that I had one occasion in past few weeks where someone actually said that they believed I was faking my positive expression. This was just after they attempted purposely to bring my own happy high down and then they also tried to diss me when their first try failed. Their expression of near horror was priceless when I responded again with a sincere “Thank you”. I thought they were literally going to have to change their shorts when their two verbal attacks both slid off me like I was covered in Pam cooking spray.
I love this !!! Exactly the right tact in that instance. You did not take the insult into yourself. We really do have total control over what we choose to accept. The rebound is instant Karma. This is what I try to do too, sometimes the person realizes what they’ve done and has the opportunity to learn a lesson. Sadly they usually accept the rebound energy and stay grumpy and learn nothing.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I love this !!! Exactly the right tact in that instance. You did not take the insult into yourself. We really do have total control over what we choose to accept. The rebound is instant Karma. This is what I try to do too, sometimes the person realizes what they’ve done and has the opportunity to learn a lesson. Sadly they usually accept the rebound energy and stay grumpy and learn nothing.
Every sentence of your post is true including unfortunately the last sentence too.

Reactions: Lynne